Tow rope questions

jgrant666

G'day raiders

I'm thinking about buying a ski biscuit so we can have some fun towing the kids this summer. Our new boat has 2 ski rope attachment points, one on each rear corner, and it came with a tow rope but that tow rope is just a straight rope without a bridle. Are there any possible problems just using that rope or would I be better off getting a bridle type one that can connect to both attachment points?

I'm thinking that using the straight rope to just one of the connectors might be more likely to foul the prop if (when!) they come off the tube and I need to slow down to pick them up, but I could minimise the risk of that by always turning towards the side the rope is attached to if I need to slow down to pick someone up? (ie if I connect it on the port side then make sure I turn to port when slowing to pick up).

Have read a couple of other posts on here with some great tips for towing people behind the boat, but couldn't see anything about tow ropes themselves....

boat is a 4.6m fibeglass half cab with a Johnson 2-stroke 70hp on the back, so should be plenty to have a bit of fun with the kids

When I got my ropes for pulling inflatables behind my boat, O got sold 2 ropes. 1 that connects the two hooks, and has a roller, where the second rope connects to.

This way: a) the stress is distributed, B) the towing rope is not directly connected, and turns are softer on whatever is being pulled.

Most ski ropes float well so when the prop is in the water they shouldn't foul the prop on any turns, unless it's enough to force the rope under the keel.

Getting a bridle is the best way I think, tubes can take a bit of a pull to get them on the plane and better to distribute that load across two points.

Most ski ropes float well so when the prop is in the water they shouldn't foul the prop on any turns, unless it's enough to force the rope under the keel.

Getting a bridle is the best way I think, tubes can take a bit of a pull to get them on the plane and better to distribute that load across two points.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Vote 2 for the bridle!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk