4x4 led light bar

Busy-livin

Hey all.

I'm in the process of setting my patrol up for some serious tracks in the bush and my next task is to sort out led lights on the roof cage. I was having a chat with some friends and they are lead to believe Les light bars are now or soon to be illegal?! I can't find any info regarding this so I wonder if any of you have heard about this at all??

Cheeeeeers

There is I believe some issues with the antiquated ADR's on driving lights.

1) lights are meant to be split not one beam

2) if you check with the ADR, I think you will also find a minimum and maximum height from the ground, as such lights on top of roll cages etc have never really been legal.

I also from memory think that lights are not allowed to be mounted behind the driver.

You will realise by this, that most installations do not comply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can now have single lights, this was changed recently to bring the ADR rules up to spec with the new generation of light bars.

You cannot have them above the line of the bonnet, so no roof mounts and not on top off bullbars. This rule has always existed.

Best bet is to spend the money on a good set of driving lights that do the whole lot :)

Edited by Spudly

I have good spotties on the bar but I'd like night time turn to day! Hah

I'll be researching further at home.

police would have a field day defecting cars with these laws if they wanted to! Every second 4wd has light bars above the bonnet

light bars don't increase long range and like HID's are not the ideal light for the human eye. It will open a can of worms, but a good halogen is still the best :argue: (in my opinion of course). They do however light up the immediate area well, the 10w are the go but much more expensive that the 3w ebay jobs, although I do run one on my farm ute and it does the job.

If you want to turn light into day try a set of fyrlyts 250's..

Yep, they can get you for anything, including having an empty window washer bottle if they want! Hunting lights on roofs are illegal, any rearward facing white light that can be switched on without being in reverse (like work lights) there really is very little you can do without pushing some law

Edited by Spudly

Not sure if this would be applicable to you since it is a 4wd - the laws/regulations may be different for this type of vehicle, it may be illegal due to having something aftermarket fitted to you bonnet, roof, bull bar etc because of pedestrian impacts. I know street cars with gauges on the bonnet, bonnet pins etc are frowned upon and defected for this reason. Even internally mounted guages have to be underneath of the highest part of the steering wheel - drivers side and underneath the highest part of the dash passenger side, else it is deemed to be in a head strike position.

If you could mount the driving lights - led bars in accordance with ADR's there shouldn't be a problem - though good luck trying to find information from RMS reagrding. You used to be able to get printed copies of ADR's and owner certified modifications from the RTA years ago, perhaps go and visit your local centre and ask where you could obtain the info you require.

Having said this, if you are a smart arse (please I'm not saying you are) to any officer that pulls you over for any little thing that is aftermarket and catches their eyes, you will get defected plain and simple, then it will be up to you to prove otherwise. I've been told by a blue slipping centre/defect centre that even if you have engineering certificates for mods that have been carried out, you could still be defected for those items listed on your certificate. Its such a grey area really

It's in ADR 13/00. Can't have em up there sorry mate. Driving Lights have to be at the FRONT of the vehicle. And it doesn't matter how nice you are to the copper or how many excuses you have up your sleeve. If they have bothered to turn on the red and blue and stop you then they will just issue the defect. I know coz they got me. Never gave me a chance to say a word. I've taken them off. Thinking of fitting em on the bow of the boat

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I think I've read somewhere that driving lights are supposed to be mounted on the fro t of the vehicle at a level no higher than the bonnet. Obviously they should only be active in high beam. "Work lights" can be mounted to the roof but must be facing backwards and activated by switch independent of the headlights.

Still, I can't see the problem with a light up higher so long as it's off on low beam. With the number of idiots driving around with fog lights on in clear weather, you'd think the police would book a few of those!

I didn't rate my LEDs on the roof bar anyway. Too much reflection off the bull bar, bonnet and uhf antenna

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That's the main reason I think you will find why the ADR's don't allow it.

We fitted a 1200mm one on Adrian's ute, purely as it was a unit we were testing. He commented exactly the same issue yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk