Power trim problem - should I be concerned?

jgrant666

Morning raiders,

I've noticed yesterday that my power trim isn't staying in place. normally when parked in my driveway I leave the motor down so it doesn't get in the way for us to walk through to our front door, but I noticed yesterday that the motor was actually sitting on the ground. I raised it up with the trim so that it was a couple of inches off the ground but 20 mins later it had lowered itself back down and was resting on the ground again! I'm assuming this isn't good, so might have to raise the motor right back up and use the travel bracket to keep it in place, as I'm thinking that having it sitting on the ground might be flexing the transom a little bit? I also noticed last time I flushed the motor that when raising or lowering it once you get to fully raised or lowered it will keep trying to go further and one of the pistons in the trim will keep moving despite the motor going no further, so I'm assuming at least one of the pistons in the power trim is stuffed and may need to be replaced.

anyone know how big a job and how much replacing the trim is likely to run to? Motor is a 93 Johnson 70hp. I'll probably have to take it somewhere as I have no way of removing the motor myself and it's too big a job for my limited mr fixit skills, and this is definitely something I'd want done right!

this also means that when I take the boat out trimming the engine is probably out the window, but I'm not so concerned by that as the boat seems to run best when the motor is straight down anyway

I recently blew a trim motor on mine with oil spraying out everywhere at the marina. What originally appeared simple replacement of the top seal turned out to be a near rebuild as more problems appeared the more you took it apart so depending on your issue its not a big job but parts wise could vary depend on what is wrong. When I was younger we had a trailerboat and my dad used to use a thick dowel rod to prop the motor up and take the pressure off the trim motor while sitting at home or travelling far as well. BTW make sure you remember to remove it before trying to lower the motor.

You should have it resting on the support brackets with the rams retracted during storage. I am not sure if there is anying actually wrong with your system as you haven't mentioned any problems in normal operation out on the water. Also if problems do arise it's can be a multitiude of things and often something quite simple eg being low on hydraulic fluid, bad electrical connection etc.

You should have it resting on the support brackets with the rams retracted during storage. I am not sure if there is anying actually wrong with your system as you haven't mentioned any problems in normal operation out on the water. Also if problems do arise it's can be a multitiude of things and often something quite simple eg being low on hydraulic fluid, bad electrical connection etc.

thanks mate, I'll make sure I lift it up and put it back on the bracket then as soon as I get home! Possibly a totally stupid question but how would I retract the rams once It's sitting on the travel bracket? Do I need to disengage something first? Electrical connection is ok it's just that once lifted a bit it is lowering itself down again not holding in the position I leave it in

Ours slowly falls over the day when its left up without the brackets.

Works fine on the water though so I'm not worried.

Someone told me not to store the motor on the travel brackets as fluids etc will pool to the back of the motor, what I was thinking of doing was wedging a piece of wood under it so it sat down but couldn't drop down into the dirt again,

I'd check to see that if you put it in the support bracket then is it going to be trimming down still? Because then you're putting force onto the support bracket as well as weight.

thanks mate, I'll make sure I lift it up and put it back on the bracket then as soon as I get home! Possibly a totally stupid question but how would I retract the rams once It's sitting on the travel bracket? Do I need to disengage something first? Electrical connection is ok it's just that once lifted a bit it is lowering itself down again not holding in the position I leave it in

Just keep trimming down with the motor on the bracket and the rams will retract completely (you will hear a change in the motor's sound). it might be worth checking that the unit is full of hydraulic fluid. It is a simple procedure to top it up - you will find it on You-Tube/ Google.

I'd check to see that if you put it in the support bracket then is it going to be trimming down still? Because then you're putting force onto the support bracket as well as weight.

Good Call, I might leave it sitting with the bracket out but just above that level and see if it sinks down onto the bracket, then I'll know if it's putting force on or not

Just keep trimming down with the motor on the bracket and the rams will retract completely (you will hear a change in the motor's sound). it might be worth checking that the unit is full of hydraulic fluid. It is a simple procedure to top it up - you will find it on You-Tube/ Google.

thanks mate - good tip, I'll try that as well, some googling awaits!

If there is no oily residue around the rams you probably have an internal leak check that the pressure release screw in the side of the trim unit is tight. If you are worried about it or if it gets any worse the pump assembly would need a reseal.

At home I always lower the motor fully when parked. When on the water overnight with my previous Yamaha 60 2-stroke I always put the motor up on the travel brackets and fully retracted the stainless push rods to reduce the risk of them tarnishing in the salt air. They always retracted fine, never seemed to stress the travel brackets too much.

With my new ETEC 60 however there are no longer any exposed pushrods, so I just leave the motor up on the tilt overnight on the water. Should I support it on the travel brackets instead?

Is there a need to retract the pushrods in the ETEC even though they are no longer exposed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

maybe check oil level first. As the only time my outboard went down was when the oil level dropped. the main use for this boat was for water skiing so the trim motor had the brushes replaced each year. yes I left it on the travel brackets all the time, with no problems at all :banana:

Apologies for the late reply, but as was suggested I fully retracted the rams one it was on the travel bracket then cycled it through a couple of times and it seems to be holding position ok now which is good.

Seems I've opened up a can of worms though as to whether it's better to store your motor down or on the bracket! Maybe it's much ado about nothing?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk