Fishing with Tsuyoshi

adamski

Hiya folks,

Bit of context: during the week I work at an English language school. One of the students in my class was a keen fisherman back in Japan, but he gave it up a few years back. Anyway at our school's Halloween party we got chatting over a beer or two (me dressed as a zombie William Wallace in my kilt and him with some sort of weird burned-looking face from a Japanese urban legend) and I persuaded him he needed to take up the sport again in Australia.

We met up this morning in the hope of just doing a wee bit bottom-bashing at Double Bay and I figured we could use any catch for the class barbecue next week. I arrived early while it was still dark and it took a while before the bite started: a little flattie first up. Afterwards Tsuyoshi arrived and I could tell he'd fished before- really whipping the rod, accurate single-handed casts. he told me he used to lure fish in Japan for black bass before they changed some of the laws about them. He'd never fished plastics, but soon got used to the technique.

We fished for about 3 hours or so as the tide ran out. A school of rats turned up with a few legals mixed in among them, but we couldn't tempt them with any of the lures in my box (they were hoovering up bait just a little smaller than the plastics we were using) We tried whip baits and poppers for them too, but no joy. We got back to bottom bashing and I managed a legal flounder- a bit of a novelty for me- and another handful of flatties, including two keepers for the class barbie, but unfortunately I just couldn't get Tsuyoshi onto a fish. I felt a bit bad as it was his first time fishing down under plus he had to get up at 4 to come, but he seemed to enjoy it and we're going to try to get out again.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

post-33473-0-93632000-1446866654_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-00778500-1446866680_thumb.jpg

Good on you Adam for getting the guy back into fishing .... Pity he had nothing to show for it after that early start .......