Scratch on Graphite Rod

Rock&Beach

Hi Guys after reading an article on here the other day about Graphite rods and how prone they are to breaking I have a question.

On a recent trip I clumsily tripped over on the rocks and scratched my Diawa sensor surf 7-15 kg just below the first runner from the reel. Having already broken another Graphite rod while lifting a fish out of the water (stupid move). I was curious as to the likelihood of this rod surviving a bit of pressure.

I have already hag a couple of decent fights with it since and it appears to have plenty of grunt.

If I coat this with varnish is it likely to be okay. It took me long enough to make the decision to spend the money to buy this rod and then only on special.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The thing is with graphite, from tennis racquets to golf clubs to fishing rods, is that it could be cracked internally and you wouldn't see it. If it was just a scratch sure coat it up with varnish, nail polish etc. Just keep using it as you would mate

Guest Guest123456789

Impossible to say depends on how deep the scratch is. As long as your line strength is less than your rod strength than the line will snap before your rod (whatever the material). I've got a daiwa 7-15kg crossfire and have 20lbs braid on. Have had the drag up around the 10kg mark and fought some big sharks - no problem. Recently loaned it to my brother who broke two runners with the swivel. Local shop is fixing it for $30

Yeah that is what I was thinking don't think that there is much I can do with it except a little varnish. Awesome rod though so much feel and so easy to cast. Throws 25 gram lures about 140Metres

By the way do you still talk to your brother?

Guest Guest123456789

Yeah that is what I was thinking don't think that there is much I can do with it except a little varnish. Awesome rod though so much feel and so easy to cast. Throws 25 gram lures about 140Metres

I do I just paid for it myself. I've gotten free kids clothes off his wife, it's not worth the hassle. I'll just never loan him anything again.

The rods I have snapped have all been in the top section so I think you a fairly safe with your scrape towards the reel - lots of fibres there. The varnish won't do much structurally apart from preventing any feathering of any cut fibres, so it's more cosmetic than anything.

I have started putting small plastic beads above my terminal swivel on my light gear as the swivels I am currently using are small enough to fit through the top glide. Standard red or green beads work fine and stop any glide damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shouldn't worry too much. Like it has been suggested, if it's a surface scratch, a layer of varnish is all that's needed. No point in fretting over what you can't see, and therefor can't really do anything about. If the carbon blank is damaged, it will go someday, but that day isn't today. Keep fishing with confidence, but have a spare rod with you in case it does let go.

Impressive 140 metres with a 25gram lure on an 11' rod. That's close to an Australian record. Which reel are you using?

Atually12ft rod with Stradic FJ5000. Maybe more take than give 10m from 140.

I noticed that you always give advice on casting and know details about records. Do you surf cast comps? Always wanted to do that but never became involved.

Cheers Stu

Guest Guest123456789

I have same setup (daiwa 12 foot with stradic fj5000. 25 gram weight I guesstimate I can chuck it a footy field. If you had the wind behind you and elevated I reckon 140 is doable

Atually12ft rod with Stradic FJ5000. Maybe more take than give 10m from 140.

I noticed that you always give advice on casting and know details about records. Do you surf cast comps? Always wanted to do that but never became involved.

Cheers Stu

Yeah I do. I've been field casting for sometime now.

I don't think I could get close to 140m with such a light lead on a 12' rod with a spinning reel.

I'd get a 150 gram lead that far on a 13'6 Lamiglass or CCP rod using a spinning reel, but if your getting there with a Sensor Surf with a Stradic keep at it

I really only have experience with fly rods mainly sage TFO and Scott. I have broken at least 6 fly rods all from bruising where a tungsten bead fly has hit the blank. And there I. Lays the problem with graphite you may not see the damage it could be fine or it could give on the next fish as I found out one day on the tongariro setting the fly on an angry rainbow! Lol

That does not sound comfortable Scratchie. FYI I did ok at Diamond Beach last month. Caught my PB snapper off the rocks. And lots of good bream of the beach.

Congrats stu! Might have to ask you for some info, I think I might head up that way next weekend!