Fishing Tasmania

cameldownunder

My :wife: bought Flights to Tasmania for me and my son, for us to get out of her hair.

Did some reading in Forums and prepared an itinerary so I had an idea where to fish.

Day 1:

Arrived at Launceston thursday morning, picked up the campervan, picked up bait from tackle shop, picked up preordered food from Coles and head of to Brushy Lagoon ( was not in my original plan, but since I did read it was stocked up with trouts and salmons in October, it was impossible to give it a miss. The 7 km bumpy drive with the campervan was a bit rough, but we made it.

We were greeted by bad weather, drizzling interchanging with rain. We first tried with lures, with no results. We then switched to floats with worms. Within the next 2 hours we caught 4 salmons

post-11890-0-87006200-1447133274_thumb.jpg

Lunch in the campervan, and then off to the highlands. Stop at Breona, only to see that the lake was well below it's normal. Making it not so attractive to fish. Dinner at Great Lake Hotel and then Stop at Pine Tier Lagoon. Some fishing before ending first day, without takes.

Day 2:

Some more fishing at PineTier, but without success. Followed by a drive to Bronte Lagoon. Fished there, saw a Brown Trout almost jumping to shore. and that was it. Then it was time to visit lake Echo, but this was too 6 meters under the level, and very hard to access. Tried one or two spots, but no fish in sight.

Then travel down to Dee Lagoon, again a quick try, but decided to move to Bradys lake. We fished where the water comes in from Dee Lagoon, saw fish jumping, and I managed to hook a trout on spinner, but it got off ( spinner without barbs ).

Drove to Tungathina Lagoo for the night

Day 3:

Morning Fishing at Tungathina laggon, but no fish. Drove back to the water outlet at Bradys Lake. This time I managed a brown Trout

post-11890-0-54302400-1447133964_thumb.jpg

Drive to Arthur's Lake, Fish and Lunch, and then LONG drive to Woods Lake. Which was a bit of a disappointment. Hard to fish as there was a strong wind, difficult access to the water, and about 20 trailers at the boat ramp. Packed up relativelyi quickly, and drove back to Arthur's, at Jonah's Bay camp site. Campfire and steaks for dinner. Fished the shore of the lake till dark.

Day 4:

Drive back to the flatlands, quick stock up of sinkers and mud-eyes at the fishing shop in Longford, an then fishing the weirs. I caught a small salmon and my son a big one.

post-11890-0-57913400-1447134348_thumb.jpg

10 minutes Later he caught a nice Brown Trout

post-11890-0-74789500-1447134444_thumb.jpg

He was really happy now. Smile from ear to ear.

Got to the Camping Ground at Longford, where my son did a bit more fishing, while I cleaned the campervan.

Day 5;

Returned the campervan with 578 Km more then when we picked it up, and flew out at 9:30am.

You definitely got around! Sounds like a top trip. Some nice Browns and salmon there. Still yet to get a salmon myself. Hope you enjoyed the scenery and had some quality time with your son.

I saw a picture pf woods lake ramp just the other day, must have been 30+ trailers there. Guess the secrets out! When we were there a year ago would of only been about 4 boats out on a Sunday.

How did the salmon eat up? Better than the bought stuff?

Scenery is fantastic. Plenty of Wallabies hopping on the side of the road, even saw echidnas. Beautiful laggons, streams and lakes. Friendly people. The only person I saw that was "unhappy" was driving a car from Victoria.

While the road improvement to Woods Lake ( with a 14% descent ) allowed us to get there with the Campervan ( slow driving ), I guess it did open the lake to more people. Still a beautiful lake, if you have a boat.

Salmon was great, but the Brownie was even better. Cannot compare to fish from market, as I don't buy trouts here, despite loving them.

Might need to visit the Blue Mountains.

Now up to plan next spring in Tasmania.