Newport beach overnight

SgtBundy

Thanks to a small rock caught at 110kmh on the M1 I had a windscreen replacement to do, and so worked from home wednesday. After finishing up early and with no commute to worry about, we had an early dinner which permitted me to sneak out for the 9pm high tide.

Got to newport around 8:20 and found the conditions quite flat with a stiff NW wind coming from behind me on the beach. The hope was always for a jewie but with only some frozen pillies, a not so fresh anymore squid and some prawns it was going to be just seeing what shows up.

No real activity until well after the tide change when I got a hit, some quick shakes and then slack line. The paternoster was bitten off above the top hook. Figuring tailor I switched to the only gang hooks I had which were some cheap kmart ones - oddly shallow hooks for 5/0 which made getting the pillies on them annoying but not impossible.

Following that I got the odd bite but could not get a hook up. Not convinced the hooks were worth persisting with but with some bites I didnt want to waste time switching rigs so persisted.

Right as I was considering saving my remaining bait and calling it a night I finally got a hookup. It pulled, ran and shook for all it was worth. As I got it in closer I caught sight of it jumping out of waves which confirmed it for a salmon. A wave or two later I had a decent 50cm odd salmon to take home.

I persisted through more bites but again no hookups. Last resort after the pillies were gone I put the arrow squid out whole. It got hammered but they kept missing the hooks.

Around 11:30 I packed up and called it a night with my salmon fillets to feed the kids tonight.

Time to rebuild some more beach rigs without crappy kmart hooks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I was not doing huge casts - probably only 25-30m out.

If I got another salmon I might have tried using it for bait. I did consider it but with my catch rate I do like to have something to take home to show for it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Feeding the kids Australian salmon?

You'll get done for child abuse. ;)

I hear most people wont feed it to their cat, but fillet, cut off the red meat, crumb and fry it and the kids love it. I usually also throw in some cajan spices into the flour.

Dunno why but its the kids favourite fish to eat out of what I catch.