Introduction and Advice - Berry & Jervis Bay

theyankee

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself before asking for your advice. I'm Max, AKA theyankee, and will be traveling from the States to visit my brother and some family I have in Berry over the holidays. I plan on being in Berry starting on Dec 22 through the New Years. Knowing my family, I would love nothing more then to go for a fish after the customary holiday festivities :wine:. I have been doing some research on the Jervis Bay area but most of what i'm reading seems to be a couple years old. Typically my brother and I fish off the rocks or beach for salmon, but it looks like this time around we can get a 6m boat to use and get a bit further offshore.

Anyone have any experience fishing in the area that you want to share?

Looking forward to once again visiting your beautiful country B)

Edited by theyankee

Pretty much as mentioned above its a great fishery too and really does produce. I don't know if your brother is into bass fishing but walking along tight creeks with light gear and some lures is really awesome fun if the salt ain't firing.

There is also the basin which can have some huge flathead around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heaps available to you!

What size boat?

Smaller boats, the shoalhaven river you will catch flatties bream and jews. St geaorges basin is now home to some of the best bream and flatties around.

A bigger boat and you also have access to some great fishing outside the river, from the new artificial reefs to the banks and down to jervis bay.

Best bet is to get in touch when your here and find out whats happening!

as most have said Shoalhaven river is closer than JB, if you cant catch a flatty in the Shoalhaven I would probably give up actually, especially if you have a boat. JB is not for the faint hearted mate, first time i went out, it turned to poo and i almost poo'dmapants. Shaolhaven is a great fishery though. If your keen on trying JB, get yourself a map from a tackle store (not the camping one though) down there and ask where you can and cant fish.....summer time, maritime and police will be out in force and if they catch you drifting around or anchored up some places in JB you could get fined.

Drifting the lower stretches of Berry's canal into Greenwell Pt and out towards Orient heads (and the reverse on the incoming tide) should get you onto the usual Estuary species, Bream, Flathead, Whiting etc. We've caught several Gunard over the years also, very pretty fish, too pretty to kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heaps available to you!

What size boat?

Smaller boats, the shoalhaven river you will catch flatties bream and jews. St geaorges basin is now home to some of the best bream and flatties around.

A bigger boat and you also have access to some great fishing outside the river, from the new artificial reefs to the banks and down to jervis bay.

Best bet is to get in touch when your here and find out whats happening!

Thanks for the advice everyone,

Spudly,

I am able to rent a 6m boat and can fish up to 3 miles offshore