UoW research focus group thing

mii11x

Wondering how many raiders are going to this? Did I meet anyone from here last night? It was great to meet other keen fishos who wanted to share their opinion on various topics, though I dont know much about the commercial side of things, was good to learn a couple of things about it.

there was a post about doing some survey about a month ago, it related to that. you had to do the survey, then a researcher from Wollongong Uni contacted you and asked if you would participate in other surveys/focus groups, which was what was run last night

Ok well we all sat around a table while being voice and video recorded for further reference. We began the session with briefs introductions of each other, good to see that both the doctors that were running the group were very keen fishos, both still active as well. One fella was a TW store employee, one was a marine scientist(working for the dpi actually), a couple of ladies, one of which moved hear from the states a while ago, most people were from sydney ares, and a few from nowra area.

We basically had an open discussion about why we love about fishing, whether we catch and release, or always take home what we catch (legals of course), whether it frowned upon to take home everything etc. How often we fished and what would prevent us from fishing, ie weather, work, family etc.

The second part focussed on commercial fishing sector and how rec fishos perceive commercial fishing. I dont know a lot about the subject, but I listened to what others were saying. Some quite interesting points came up and were discussed between us all. Do we feel as though there should be a commercial fishing sector, where should we stop commercial fishing ie hawkesbury, stgeorges basin. Do we think that it has a deterimental effect? Any ways we could improve their system/methods of capture? Marine zones also came up as most of us live near one, whether it was JB or BB or PH or Hawkesbury.

Most of us had good input, and we all had great opportunity to express our opinions of what we love

Ok well we all sat around a table while being voice and video recorded for further reference. We began the session with briefs introductions of each other, good to see that both the doctors that were running the group were very keen fishos, both still active as well. One fella was a TW store employee, one was a marine scientist(working for the dpi actually), a couple of ladies, one of which moved hear from the states a while ago, most people were from sydney ares, and a few from nowra area.

We basically had an open discussion about why we love about fishing, whether we catch and release, or always take home what we catch (legals of course), whether it frowned upon to take home everything etc. How often we fished and what would prevent us from fishing, ie weather, work, family etc.

The second part focussed on commercial fishing sector and how rec fishos perceive commercial fishing. I dont know a lot about the subject, but I listened to what others were saying. Some quite interesting points came up and were discussed between us all. Do we feel as though there should be a commercial fishing sector, where should we stop commercial fishing ie hawkesbury, stgeorges basin. Do we think that it has a deterimental effect? Any ways we could improve their system/methods of capture? Marine zones also came up as most of us live near one, whether it was JB or BB or PH or Hawkesbury.

Most of us had good input, and we all had great opportunity to express our opinions of what we love

Thank you much appreciated. Perhaps this is a PhD student's work? Did they say that you would be given a look at results or a paper?

I just found it. I have spoken with Michelle before and I put that survey up here on fishraider a few months ago. She was going to email when the focus groups were on.It is a government funded piece of work that is being researched.

I will email her again :)

I made contact with Michelle who is doing this work.

There were a huge number of people that participated in the survey (thanks raiders and guests) and over 500 that said they would be interested in going to a focus group!

This makes it difficult to get everyone to a focus group session (usually 8 or so per session)

Only people who took part in the survey are eligible to be in a focus group to be able to link the two parts of the project. Michelle is making her way through the list and is hoping to hold more in the new year.

It will be interesting to read the paper that comes out of it.