Live well ideas

krause

Hi all, this is relevant to my kayak live well, but is based on general knowledge so i though I'd put it here. Ive recently been collecting livies for my kayak and have just been using a 20L bucket with a cheap aerator. It's nothing flash but it works.

However when i add squid and yakka it all goes bad. I know running a pump and circulating fresh water in is how you'd normally keep squid, but id prefer not to set that up as its allot of work to rig up on the kayak before every outing. Any ideas on how do simply keep the two critters seperate? All idea welcome.

Cheers guys

Fresh water? Do you mean fresh as in new clean salt water?

I use a 20L bucket, with a bilge pump and it works fine, with both squid and yakkas inside.

You need a strong pump for 2 reasons:

1. Keep the water circulation or else the squid will die

2. Strong pump will remove the squid ink real quick

And of course you'll need a small net to scoop out the livies.

When you say it all goes bad, what happens exactly?

Dave.

Yes fresh = new salt water.

What kind of battery are you running on the above set up? Normally i end up with inky water and the squid die quickly. Then the yakka end up distressed.

Last trip i had to pull up and completely swith the water as the yakka were all on the surface on their sides and gasping. Did a full water change and they were fine. Almost like the squid ink was causing them harm?

You only need a small 12v battery, like an alarm back up battery or possibly smaller to run the bilge, wouldn't be hard to set up, but the bilge would need to be hanging over the side sucking water up into the bucket thru a tube, then an overflow tube would let excess water out of the bucket.

Definitely doable.

Can you hang something on the side of your Yack? Cut 2 big holes opposite sides, and cover the hoel with chicken net, 2 layers, shifted by 1/2 length of the hole. When the Yack moves fresh water should automatically push the inked water out. Your torpedo is also a good idea, Plumbing tube ( big one, maybe 1m ) and have a grid on both sides.

Yes fresh = new salt water.

What kind of battery are you running on the above set up? Normally i end up with inky water and the squid die quickly. Then the yakka end up distressed.

Last trip i had to pull up and completely swith the water as the yakka were all on the surface on their sides and gasping. Did a full water change and they were fine. Almost like the squid ink was causing them harm?

I can't remember exactly what bilge I have, but its pretty powerful. Its those Blue, White, Red ones. Like fishingphase suggests, I have my bilge at the back of my boat, sucking the water upwards and into my live well, and I have 2 pipes at the very top of the live well for the water to come out, I think I used whats called a skin fitting. Works fine dude, squid can ink all they want, the water refreshes to clear in like 1min after he inks.

The only problem I've had, is when the squid comes up and blocks the top holes where the water runs out... that can be mayhem cause the water overflows into your boat! Hence why now I;ve installed another bilge inside my hull!

I can't remember exactly what bilge I have, but its pretty powerful. Its those Blue, White, Red ones. Like fishingphase suggests, I have my bilge at the back of my boat, sucking the water upwards and into my live well, and I have 2 pipes at the very top of the live well for the water to come out, I think I used whats called a skin fitting. Works fine dude, squid can ink all they want, the water refreshes to clear in like 1min after he inks.

The only problem I've had, is when the squid comes up and blocks the top holes where the water runs out... that can be mayhem cause the water overflows into your boat! Hence why now I;ve installed another bilge inside my hull!

Would some sort of mesh solve that problem?

That'll incredible hull. If i built one that's how i would do it. I think they're called skimmer/skim fittings, but im making that assumption off of my knowledge of pools :) and i second the above. i would think a bit of chicken wire would stop those squid causing chaos!

I've used a bit of plumbing tube with holes drilled in it off my kayak. Place a cap on each end with a bit of rope connected to one and drag it behind the yak. Good if you're not paddling too far as it slows you down. Have kept poddies, yakkas and a few squid but never at the same time. Should be able to keep squid and other bait fish in there though.

Would some sort of mesh solve that problem?

Yer so I've tried a number of meshes, but what happens is if your drain holes are not big enough, the mesh restricts the water from draining out, and the water overflows. So since then, I've created additional drain holes to make sure it won't overflow =)

You can buy these parts as well from boating stores, its like a L shaped tube, one end you stick into your drain hole (from the inside of the live well) and the other side is a mushroom mesh looking thing.

Had anyone used livie torpedoes? It's a tube you drag behind you with the bait in it?

Yes. Most simple and best builds are on some of the local kayak fishing sites but assume I am not allowed to lnk to them.

Built mine from 1meter 90mm PVC tube with couple of tapered end caps. You can go down to 50mm to reduce drag but I wanted to be able to get a few big slimies or candy sized squid in.

Add flotation such as a length of pool noodle to keep it on the surface. Otherwise they can tend to dive & create even more drag. Also allows you to attach a weight with enough cord to leave the tube floating in your fishing area instead of towing it all day.

Also make sure the inside is completely smooth. Remove every burr on the inside from cuts & any holes you drill. If you don't your baits will get scaled in very short order.

Edited by sharknett