Electric fishing reels

Commodore

Ive recently bought one took a lot to convince me they are worth the money - still in doubt.

My thoughts = only really any good if going out really deep as in browns - how often do you go that far? cost of reel + cost of rod + cost of braid then theres the rigs make my own still it adds up then sinkers every one has said "sash weights" have you seen them laying around lately? there all in storage at the bottom of browns some one suggested drink bottles full of cement not great but they work, so ok you've spent the $ & set yourself up I used to go to browns about once every 2 years once set up it was like I was obligated to get out there to use the new outfit UP goes the fuel bill & engine hours.

other then that I love it, got some good fish already!

I use bricks as dropper, not the best but quick and easy just drill a ring into them with a 20lb breakaway line to the rig. Mucked around with gal pipe filled with cement, grinder to a cone on the bottom and welded on a couple of fins to help them drop straight.

I didn't get out this winter but but love the science and tactics behind the style of fishing

I use old reo bars (get the big thick stuff from construction sites) and a Bunnings Ozito drop saw to cut to 1ft or so lenghts. Don't bother trying to drill for the line, just wrap a bit of coathanger or fencing wire to form a loop -- the weights don't last long enough to bother being fancy and drilling them.

Re electric. The guys that come out with me have used a Miya Epoch 8 and swear by it, and others Tanacom Bulls 1000 - they do the job at Brown's esp for the mate that has a bung shoulder.

Like Oz Brett above said, I hit Brown's maybe 3 times in a year and for me purchasing an electric is interesting but down on my priority list at present...so for the deep stuff I am very old school and use an Alvey SeaKing manual winch (1.1m lift per turn) - indestructible item which I have modified with what I consider a better pulley/boom arrangement than the little s/s spigot they come with.... I brought up a 20kg bar cod faster than the epoch brought up 2 gemmies.

Mind you if I had to do it 2-3 times in a row the electric would win.... but then there are boat catch limits to watch !

As with anything with boating/fishing... what problem are you trying to solve with the electric reel ??

post-20634-0-44685300-1449201340_thumb.jpg

post-20634-0-86584000-1449201348_thumb.jpg