Shark/s in Pittwater

shipwrecked

Went out last night with two mates in our Quinny 5M to fish Pittwater which is an old haunt of ours. The air temperature was nice if you kept out of the wind, lots of wind. Water temp 23.4 on the Lowrance. Was bottom bashing, drifting unweighted Gar and squid and floating similar. Got various small pinkies. Then all of a sudden the float of Gar takes off with a scream. My mate picks up the rod to see the spool quickly emptying so he turns up the drag a bit. Then bang he drops it. He's been bitten off at the hook. Its speed could have been a king but it was likely a shark. Exciting moment that left us shattered with disappointment but renewed enthusiasm to fight the wind and continue. We ended up in the channel near the red marker on the eastern side of Pittwater with a float this time loaded wirh a large squid bell on a dual snelled hook set-up. Then suddely the float takes off and I'm onto something BIG. Panic onsues as we need to pull in the other lines (did i nention we aren't really setup well with lights and tangles were left for later to undo). Finding torches and getting the net ready, when we look over the side to see a nice 2-3 bull or bronze whaler shark and quickly all agree it wasn't coming aboard. Trying to find a camera to prove the claim and the shark bites through my 40lbs leader. Awesome trip out even with the wind but i wouldn't be swimming in Pittwater at night.

You have nothing to fear from sharks that size, I target them off the beach quite a bit. In my usual spot if there's swimmers you won't get a bite, 2 minutes after they get out of the water however it's on, happens all the time.

They really are scared of us at that size, his mumma however!!!

My son's 9 year old buddy caught a 5 foot bronze whaler a few hundred metres from that spot at the south eastern entrance to the Basin in March - I used to jump off boats in Pittwater in the 70s & 80s and swim for hours. I'm gun-shy now!!

You have nothing to fear from sharks that size, I target them off the beach quite a bit. In my usual spot if there's swimmers you won't get a bite, 2 minutes after they get out of the water however it's on, happens all the time.

They really are scared of us at that size, his mumma however!!!

Ok next time I get a small one I'll give you a call. Put your fingers close to its mouth and tell me how much it doesn't hurt.

I saw a bloke pick a 3ft bronzie up by the tail once. Almost lost his family jewels.

I read a book once about the Australian navy seals who had some kind of training base at Taylors Point and these guys used to swim at night all the way up Pittwater and back (behind a boat). No mention of sharks but you would not get me doing that.

Ok next time I get a small one I'll give you a call. Put your fingers close to its mouth and tell me how much it doesn't hurt.

I saw a bloke pick a 3ft bronzie up by the tail once. Almost lost his family jewels.

Sharks out of the water are a different story, I'm referring to swimming with Sharks this size.

Any animal dragged out of its environment is going to try and hurt you regardless of its size.