New Rod Advice

TheSpiderHunter

Hi I recently bought a new shimano Sedona c5000fe reel and I would also like a new rod to match it. I normally fish at Jabiru Island and Coombabah Fishing Platform from land as I don't have a boat, I will normally target anything I can catch but I mainly just catch bream and sometimes Moses perch and flathead. I would like this rod to be fairly light and be quite good for soft plastics and I would like a rod under $200. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have chosen to instead get a new rod and reel instead of a soft plastics rod for the Sedona as the Sedona 5000fe is not really the best for soft plastics. I have bought the Shimano Stradic ci4+ 2500 and the Shimano revolution inshore bream spin 6102 and 16.5lb Fireline exceed with birthday and Christmas money.

I have caught a few small bream on it but because we don't have a boat we don't have as much access to other more populated areas so I am yet to actually catch a fish on a lure, I just caught these bream on bait but it is very fun using light gear. I never imagined myself using light gear as I always worried about getting spoiled but the chances of that are low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1 to 3 kg rod thats my light stick 2 to 5 kg to me isn't light. 5 kg is enough for big Flathead and meter long Jew! Your reel has 7 kg of drag 3 to 4 is a lot of drag pressure. and running that amount of drag is common on fish that don't have great speed. the thing that will limit the amount of drag you can run is your hook size! if a big fish takes a small lure with small hooks, too much drag will straighten the hooks! just remember if a fish takes a lot of line off your reel, back the drag off a bit . if you have 2kg of drag to start with on a full spool, half a spool will double the drag pressure to 4 kg.