Shark in the Hacking

yting

There are always sharks in the hacking. And all other water ways. That one of them has been spotted is no surprise.

It changes nothing.

1927 I believe was the last shark attack in the hacking.

And numbers are depleted since then and human population increased.

Lack of available fish is not due to some shark swallowing all the fish.

There are always sharks in the hacking. And all other water ways. That one of them has been spotted is no surprise.

It changes nothing.

Lack of available fish is not due to some shark swallowing all the fish.Aww

Awww, come on Salty,

Gotta have an excuse for coming home empty handed. Can't tell the missus and cat that I can't fish!

Surely it's a Bull isn't it? White pointer in the Hacking? I guess it could be.

Bull's dont usually get much over 3m or so. 4-5 is almost certainly a white or tiger.

It changes nothing.

Lack of available fish is not due to some shark swallowing all the fish.

Definitely always there, i've lost my share of jew baits to them and been fully spooled twice, Thing is most of the time they are bronzie's, bulls etc and very, very rarely anywhere near that size inside the river itself due to the relatively shallow entrance and lack of bigger prey. .

Also worth noting that peoples estimates of shark sizes can be comically off the mark...

R

No wonder the fish are hard to catch lately.

Krispy, time for you to forget the kingies, and tackle the shark. :074:

I am heading to Melbourne for a few days, otherwise I would give the handline a go. :074::074:

I think the whole site is waiting for you to pick him up on that yaka line you seem so productive with Yowie.

Rich

years ago a church group beat a sick blue shark to death in soth west arm

big sharks will go int river systems when sick as food is easer to catch there

also remember two white sharke killer in sussex inlet when i was yonger they were speared in the inlet very skinny for there length

i have only sen one large hammerhead in the hacking myself at the enterence with an incoming tide chasing mullet

also a white that used to live off sydney had a scare on its face came to the coastal areas as well told this when i used to gamefich with botany bat gfc in the 80s

Surely it's a Bull isn't it? White pointer in the Hacking? I guess it could be.

I worked the Police launch out of Port Hacking for 8 years and can affirm that there have been some huge Whites around the Port and Botany. I had one come up and 'mouth' the prop on the launch and it would have been easily 5m. She showed up every year and was named Lord Nelson, as she only had one eye and many scars on her body. Haven't seen her for a few years, but know for a fact that they are around and do come into the enclosed waterways.

Where did this happen stormy? In the hacking (I.e. Past burraneer) or out around shark island or jibbon?

I am dubious of the 4-5m claim if it's up at lilli pilli or beyond. I can believe a 2-3m bull, which would look bugger, but not a gws (or tiger).

Ps, I saw a turtle up opposite port hacking (the suburb) on the weekend and the water was 21deg, cf 19 at jibbon beach so that's a bit unusual.

Saw many over the years. Near the bommie, Shark Island, just off Jibbon Beach, Bate Bay. Seen lots of turtles in the Hacking. Had a bloke one year, tossing a stick for his two Labs, next to the baths in Gunamatta. Two dogs swam out and one disappeared in a swirl. Bull shark was the guess, but that is a spot that is packed with people in summer. Yes, sharks are definitely in the Port.