Crackdown on dangerous and anti-social riding of jetskis announced

mrsswordfisherman

At the talk at on Wed night that swordie spoke at there was a representative who told us about this announcement

Here is what was posted this morning. Please be respectful in any comments.

post-869-0-37624700-1450397711_thumb.jpg

Director Maritime Angus Mitchell joins Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Duncan Gay and NSW Police Marine Area Commander Detective Superintendent Mark Hutchings to announce a crackdown on dangerous and anti-social riding of jetskis in and around the Georges River.

By the way there is now a dedicated line to handle on water complaints and other complaints about jetskis

Call 131236 and select option 1

Thats good to hear, do you know if they have any plans to extend ths to the harbour or the Hawkesbury?

No Tag but I will be getting an email with the media release regarding the plans (not out yet)

You can check here on the Media Releases too http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/news-events/news/roads-and-maritime/index.html

Thats good to hear, do you know if they have any plans to extend ths to the harbour or the Hawkesbury?

All JetSki's are banned from the harbour & have been for some time now ....

Although im a jet skier myself and 3 in total in the family i think yhis is bloody brilliant and absolutly about time. However as oreviously stated in the comments above its not just the hacking and also as mentioned its not just jet skiers. I personally belive they jusy need to have more patrols on the water plain and simple.

Not just target jet skiers but every water user. I know this debate has been had before and yes funding is tight but even maybe just start on public holidays and school holidays and im sure with the fines they will be handing out left right and centre maybe a few more funds to increase their time on the water patrolling.

This is jist my personal opinion and im sure others have their own in which i respect.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

At the talk at on Wed night that swordie spoke at there was a representative who told us about this announcement

Here is what was posted this morning. Please be respectful in any comments.

attachicon.gif12346406_10153687325050631_7787867736146338342_n.jpg

Director Maritime Angus Mitchell joins Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Duncan Gay and NSW Police Marine Area Commander Detective Superintendent Mark Hutchings to announce a crackdown on dangerous and anti-social riding of jetskis in and around the Georges River.

By the way there is now a dedicated line to handle on water complaints and other complaints about jetskis

Call 131236 and select option 1

Is that number general for NSW or just for the Georges? I filmed on my mobile two jetskis completely out of control on Burrill Lake where I live.

It seems that two new speed zones have now been introduced:

The first one is new, from the western mouth of Mill creek to the start of the existing 4 knot zone at the eastern end of picnic point boat shed,

The second is an extension of the 8 knot zone at the western end of picnic point boat shed through to the eastern side of dead mans creek.

I think these only came into affect in the last 72-48 hours

Yesterday I took the young bloke fishing from 9am - 1pm. Yesterday was a warmish but overcast Sunday - In times gone by I would have expected Revesby Beach to be overrun with jetskiiers - not so. I only observed one and he was obeying the rules. It seems that the new speed zones have opposed an unofficial ban by severely limiting the amount of water jet skiiers have to use - from Mill ck to the Alfords Point bridge. This is not a solution to the problem, the problem jet skiiers will now just go somewhere else and cause even more trouble for that area as there will be an even greater density of them... Incidentally the only water user not obeying the new rules was a water ski boat who blatantly broke the new speed limits every time, perhaps he was not aware of the new rules?

As a picnic point local I am very pleased with the results - some will remember that I was attacked by a jet skiier while fishing with my 3yo son about 6 months back. Up until that point I had gone out atleast weekly from Revesby Beach, but since then I had only been out a handful of times. After my experience yesterday I think I will go out a lot more again!

It seems that two new speed zones have now been introduced:

The first one is new, from the western mouth of Mill creek to the start of the existing 4 knot zone at the eastern end of picnic point boat shed,

The second is an extension of the 8 knot zone at the western end of picnic point boat shed through to the eastern side of dead mans creek.

I think these only came into affect in the last 72-48 hours

Yesterday I took the young bloke fishing from 9am - 1pm. Yesterday was a warmish but overcast Sunday - In times gone by I would have expected Revesby Beach to be overrun with jetskiiers - not so. I only observed one and he was obeying the rules. It seems that the new speed zones have opposed an unofficial ban by severely limiting the amount of water jet skiiers have to use - from Mill ck to the Alfords Point bridge. This is not a solution to the problem, the problem jet skiiers will now just go somewhere else and cause even more trouble for that area as there will be an even greater density of them... Incidentally the only water user not obeying the new rules was a water ski boat who blatantly broke the new speed limits every time, perhaps he was not aware of the new rules?

As a picnic point local I am very pleased with the results - some will remember that I was attacked by a jet skiier while fishing with my 3yo son about 6 months back. Up until that point I had gone out atleast weekly from Revesby Beach, but since then I had only been out a handful of times. After my experience yesterday I think I will go out a lot more again!

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear that you were attacked by the jetskier. How could they attack you while you were fishing with a 3 years old kid. I am a local as well, I have seen those dickheads speeding at very high speed next to the swimmers as well. Happy New Year and all the best.

Cheers

Last time I put my boat in at that ramp on the Georges, the one at the bottom of River Road, I saw 2 x collisions between jet skiers and boats on the same day. Both were the fault of the jet ski operator. The first one was a jet ski hitting a boat while the owner was putting it on the trailer! My jaw dropped at that one. They also criss-cross the river at high speed without looking around them I nearly hit a few myself. At one point I had to idle through the area to avoid killing one of them. The guys that were using the wake boats were using the area inside the mouth of Salt Pan Creek to stay out of their way. I will be happy to see everyone enjoying their chosen activities safely and I hope this new measure helps.

Edited by TheFoosh