Mullet are good sport!

Holls

Mullet are leaping out of Burrill Lake, some of them quite big. But they are impossible to catch. So decided to try another strategy. I made some pencil floats out of thin dry bamboo, and about 2m leader to a small longshank hook. Bread squeezed onto hook and line towed very slowly behind my Hobie yak. I burleyed a bit with a packet of bread crumbs. Yep, that did the trick. They are terrific fun and fight like crazy. I kept three (the biggest 32cm though there are bigger ones in the lake). I filletted and skinned them, no bones, and smoked them. Turned out well! I think if they are fresh like that, they might be ok on the bbq hotplate as well.

post-33943-0-62348400-1450560769_thumb.jpg

post-33943-0-64506900-1450560775_thumb.jpg

post-33943-0-49672600-1450560780_thumb.jpg

Guest Guest123456789

Well done mate! Great report. I've heard you have to feed them quite a bit of bread to get them biting freely first, you're report confirms this for me.

Great work man. They also nice fried. I also noticed there is time of the day where they seem busy eating something on the rocks and weeds that they would ignore bread above them or right at their nose, and other times where they would go mad for bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work man. They also nice fried. I also noticed there is time of the day where they seem busy eating something on the rocks and weeds that they would ignore bread above them or right at their nose, and other times where they would go mad for bread.

Yes, their main diet appears to weeds and algae. I collected some sea cabbage but they wouldn't touch it when I trolled it. Last night they were going crazy for winged termites falling into the water.

Looks nice. We use to catch them by using treble hooks weighted with lead. It was cast into a school and riff. But make sure the hooks are in the water before you do it otherwise lookout.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

To add to it, they get the biggest shock of there life to be swimming, swimming, swimming n bang, treble hook in the back getting pulled side ways.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Becareful as this might be considered as jagging which is illegal in nsw

Definitely outlawed now and doing it is not only unethical by would create a bad image of fishers if seen by others. Best not to do it IMHO. Enjoy the sport of catching them on bread/ dough/flies etc. Treated properly, they are fine to eat.

Edited by kel