ETEC Oil level

antonywardle

HI

How low do you let the oil level in your DI ETEC go before you top it up?

I'm down to about 10cm from the bottom when the engine is upright.

THe reason that I ask, is that the oil that is in there is an unknown brand

that's not XD100 and I have XD100 to put in it. If it already had the XD100 then

I'd top it up after every trip. As I understand it, the onboard computer knows

when it has XD100 (or is programmed) and adjusts the mix

Maybe I can put in a litre then let it get down again and then fully top it up?

I check the levels every trip so I'm not worried about running out, but I'd like

to be running XD100 every trip

cheers

Antony

I guess I could have a go at syphoning out.

Its a 2010 90HP and reading the manual it

says that only a dealer can reprogram the computer

and that the tank holds 2.8 litres. When the low oil light comes on, I have

abuut 5 hours left and that XD100 is the preferred lube, I finaly filled up my

petrol tank after three trips. According to my GPS, I've been about 100km

and the pump at the servo was 43 litres.

I use xd100 but the when I purchased the boat they say come back in 3 years for service. So I think they are set for normal oil from the factory and I'm using double the rate I need to. Does that sound right?

I have never run the oil container below half. I have heard they can run without oil at low revs for a few hours without damage. I certainly won't be testing that out.

Hey mate, you are going to service your boat before 3 years aren't you? Make sure you do, don't listen to that 3yr stuff, that is only if you are running in freshwater.

I don't know how they are set from factory but the mechanics can change the oil settings. If you think you are using too much I suggest you get it looked at by someone qualified.

Hey mate, you are going to service your boat before 3 years aren't you? Make sure you do, don't listen to that 3yr stuff, that is only if you are running in freshwater.

I don't know how they are set from factory but the mechanics can change the oil settings. If you think you are using too much I suggest you get it looked at by someone qualified.

I think it is probably wise but the boat dealer was pretty adamant it isn't necessary. It's just hit one year now.

Edited by welst

I had it checked when I got the dealer to install the motor on my boat.

They had a look at the programming and said that it was set for the

TW3 setting which means that its not set for XD100, so I beleive that it means

it uses more oil.

When I got to XD100, I'll get it changed back at my next service.

Whether or not you chose to server more frequently than 3 years (or 500 hours) is up to you

but the factory say you don't need need to, and that is in either fresh or saltwater.

A cavet for that 100km is that some of it was spent drifting, and some was at idle. I guess I could have

a look at the gps tracks and see if I could figure it out. Anyway, I like to fill up so I don't run out. It seems

with the ETEC, I don't have to do it as much.

I was out in my club boat, and that is a an ally 5.4m with a 4 stroke on it, and we did about 50km

for 22litres. The assumption there is that it was full when we took it out.

I use xd100 but the when I purchased the boat they say come back in 3 years for service. So I think they are set for normal oil from the factory and I'm using double the rate I need to. Does that sound right?

I have never run the oil container below half. I have heard they can run without oil at low revs for a few hours without damage. I certainly won't be testing that out.

Hi Welst - I dont know how many hours on your motor but I do know that the Etecs are programmed to use double the oil to fuel ratio for the first 5 hours that the engine runs at a minimum of 2000rpm. I believe this takes the average boaty around 12 hours of running to achieve.

And the motor would have been programmed to use the xd100 if thats what the dealer supplied from new. I believe that xd100 runs at a variable injection rate and the standard runs at a set rate. Thats how it was explained to me by my dealer . Im running an Etec 130 HO and I too am still in the double oil stage, hope this helps

Edited by Zacnoel

Thanks guys and my apologies Antony I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

Mine is the 150HO 12 months old. I'm really happy without at this stage, I believe I also read the HO is programmed to use more oil as well.

The dealer did supply XD100. On its next trip in I might ask the question to find out.

No idea on how many hours are in the motor but I would guess over 50.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 175 Etec which has done over 100 hours. I was told it can run 300 hours in salt or fresh before a service . Even so one should lift the lid occasionally and have a look and spray the engine with lanolin.

In regard to oil usage if the engine is over oiling as mine is at times you will see carbon soot around the exhaust area. I have been told the amount of oil can be adjusted but cannot find anyone to do it. Anyone I would trust that is.

I only useXD100 and can have standard sized tank. I only top up every five or six trips, I burn about 50ltrs per trip. I carry spare oil and a wide mouthed funnel so I can top the tank upon rough weather. You do have some extra time after receiving your low oil warning but I would fill upas soon as possible.

The cheapest way of looking after any engine is to use top quality oil and 95 octane petrol.