Leader size for kingfish off rocks

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi raiders,

I've been running 50cm of 20lbs leader to a swivel targeting kings from rocks. To connect the lure I use a rapala loop knot (the lures has a better action and I get more hook ups this way).

My last session I successfully caught and released a 56cm kingy. I also hooked up a monster kingy (saw him up close on the surface doing the Marlin thing, big green back it was amazing). This behemoth head shook my lure and ripped through the loop knot. I did keep tension on the line for fear of him chucking my lure.

So I have a few choices, either I up the leader from 20lbs (which I hate doing) or I ditch the rapala knot. Our man Krispy has advised any leader greater than 20lbs will spook kings and you won't get a touch which I tend to agree with. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guest Guest123456789

Sorry I think I just solved this. The lure I had which broke didn't have a ring on it, this was the problem. It was a narrow metal loop which acted like a knife when the fish added tension. I'll make sure the lure has that ring with a wider surface area next time.

20lb leader for kings is very light even in a boat. If you are targeting kings off the rocks, you should definitely consider going up in leader size or you will be only realistically looking at landing small fish. I normally fish 50lb leader off the rocks , and still get busted up regularly on the bigger kings. You can maybe get away with 30lb if you find a king with manners, but I haven't found too many of them.

Even with 50lb , I find the only chance I have of landing a larger ones...is if I hook it out way out wide, so the big powerful runs are in clear water. The ones I have hooked at my feet have generally made short work of it, running me up and down the ledge, and finding something sharp to bust me off on.

As for heavier leaders spooking fish....this is highly possible. But my best king of 17kg took a live yakka intended for a marlin with 150lb jinkai as leader, so this is not always the case. I have also had a nearly 6kg snapper on the same outfit that also seemed unphased by 150lb leader.

I'm no expert on kings but there are a bunch of factures that make any predatorial fish a bit picky. I've caught plenty of kings off the rocks with heavy leader one day then found they wouldn't take anything other than live squid the next day. Local bait sources, pressure, currents...it all plays a part but have you thought about changing around rod lengths? I've been landing kings up to about

60cm on 14lb fluorocarbon off the rocks at Avoca just using a longer rod than I usually would to get the tip right out away from the ledges etc..

T

Just a thought anyway!

Mate

i usually run 60lb Jinkai and 40lb braid chucking lures off the rocks. I take it your throwing hard bodies (not poppers) hence the Rapala loop. I use Lefties Loop which is pretty similar.

If your using cheap lures with fine wire loops they tend to create a crimp in the flurocarbon which creates a weak point.

Options

1) Don't use cheap lures.

2) Up the strength of your leader, or use mono rather than flurocarbon

3) If your thowing metal lures or soft plastics ditch the Rapala knot. Use a ball bearing snap or clip

I throw these things all the time and have never had a problem

post-33391-0-75471400-1450922482.jpg

Edited by Crossfire63

Still down at Avoca? I know the predicament anything above 20lb less hook ups but I gurantee some of the kings down there will smoke you no matter what, I managed to raised a decent one on a popper the other morning and made short work of 80lb black magic fluoro. I always take my snapper rod down rigged with 20lb leader for fun and obviously get more strikes from the bonnies and salmon but always take my popping rod down which is rigged much heavier

• 2 weeks later...

I fished South Avoca rocks for many years, starting in the 70's. Standard was 18 or 20lb line (on a Seascape reel) and braid nor flurocarbon had never been invented in those days and we we didn't lose too many fish. I would just say, don't make it too complicated. With Kings, the harder you fight them, the harder they fight back. At Avoca there are very few reefs or rough bottom - gently, gently does the trick. Steve

I fished South Avoca rocks for many years, starting in the 70's. Standard was 18 or 20lb line (on a Seascape reel) and braid nor flurocarbon had never been invented in those days and we we didn't lose too many fish. I would just say, don't make it too complicated. With Kings, the harder you fight them, the harder they fight back. At Avoca there are very few reefs or rough bottom - gently, gently does the trick. Steve

Well said. To back up your point about the bottom around there, if anyone wants to check it out for themselves there are several videos on youtube posted from divers working their way along the wall...always helps to have a physical image in your head of what the bottom looks like =)