8kg line snapping

stonedpirate

Hi all

I usually use 7-8kg line for tailor fishing on the beach.

I just put 500m of platipus lo stretch 8kg line on my reel.

Caught 2 tailor then the line simply snapped when striking the third.

I rigged up again and then the line snapped while fighting a small tailor.

Cant remember any line being this weak.

Is it just this brand? Or is it because its low stretch and requires a more gentle touch?

Would i be better off switching to 15kg lo stretch for tailor and salmon if i want to stay with this type of line?

Not sure whether to buy 7kg of a different type of line or buy 15kg of this line.

What line weight do you use for tailor and slamon beach fishing on choppy beaches?

Thanks

Hi StonedPirate,

While I have never had an issue with the Platypus brand (I use it for my few remaining mono outfits) it might be that you have a bad batch. One way to check is to tie it to something while on land and spool out say 5 or 10m and load it up to breaking point or an estimated 6kg. If it passes this then try spooling out between 30 and 50m (depending on how much you can afford to lose) and load it up but NOT to breaking point. If you use a decent knot I'd be surprised if it fails.

Secondly, I went through a stage where I was breaking line way under what it should have. I checked all my runners and found a crack in the ceramic of one which was damaging line. Changed runner and fixed problem.

As mentioned by roughstyler, tailor have sharp teeth. If they bite the wrong end of the line the tackle won't be coming back. On one session I lost a lot of lures because at times I stopped the retrieve to let it sink and they picked the wrong end (for me) to bite the tail off.

Try what Derek suggested to see if the line breaks under load.

What you also need to do is to slowly pull the line from the reel and run it between your fingers to see if there are any small nicks or abrasions on the line. If you can feel small nicks, it could be from the manufacturing process.

I had a spool of Sufix brand line that kept breaking with minimal pressure. Has always been good quality mono, but I found that there were a few nicks along part of the line, that had not been off the reel, which could only be due to a dud manufacturing process.

A crack in one of the runners on the rod will leave a continuous abrasion along any section of line that is in contact with the damaged runner.

Thanks guys

I tied it to a 5kg weight plate. It snapped well before it moved the plate.

Could just be a bad batch.

Moved up to 15kg anyway and the tailor didnt seem to mind.

I use a 30cm wire trace on all my tailor rigs. It didnt snap at the tackle end, it snapped like halfway when i striked.

Thanks guys

I tied it to a 5kg weight plate. It snapped well before it moved the plate.

Could just be a bad batch.

Moved up to 15kg anyway and the tailor didnt seem to mind.

I use a 30cm wire trace on all my tailor rigs. It didnt snap at the tackle end, it snapped like halfway when i striked.

I have had trouble with the Platypus Lo Stretch snapping well under in the past as well. Also, that line has rubbish abrasion resistance. I don't believe in the "bad batch" excuse. They shouldn't sell bad batches. If a sample I've purchased fails me when it shouldn't it's rubbish line to me and I never trust it again.

There are heaps of other good mono lines out there. I really like the Schneider mono.

Hi pirate I agree with the other guys may be a bad batch. Also check your gear.

Unless fishing at night I only use 6kg mono main line (250m) with a 30lb bottom rig. If fishing braid then 10lb with 3m of 15 or 20lb Flouro. At night I have a big rod out with 15kg mono or braid with a 40lb Flouro leader and 40 or 50lb rig. Still use the smaller outfits though for the smaller fish. Keeps the table full will still having fun.

Have caught monster tailor salmon and small sharks on this setup. Only time I get into trouble is when the tailor bite past the hook on single hooks not a problem on ganged hooks. Havn't meet a Tailor than can bite through a ganged 3/0 hook yet :).

Cheers Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk