Soft plastics on a paternoster rig

GoingFishing

This could be a silly question but has anyone tried soft plastics on a paternoster rig for flathead in 20-40m of water ?

Obviously there's benefits in not having to rebait and obviously cost of bait. Just worried about pickers chewing apart the plastics

i have herd of this being very popular and not overly talked about becauses its popular - also the the paternoster rigs with the little pink flys on them are very popular - i also put a little bait on the hook to be sure -

but a rig that was pointed out to me was sinker then bait then top hook a SP

goingfishing, have used this style for over 10yrs, but dont stop at 40M. they can be used at any depth. Just vary sin ker weight. I always use a 2 hook dropper, with a soft plastic on the bottom and bait on top hook. Have caught, flatties, red spot whiting, morwong, snapper, trag, jew, nannygai, basically everything you get on bait will take a soft plastic. Incedently my biggest fish for all species have been caught on soft plastics.

I haven't tried it but have seen it recommended a lot for Snapper - plastic on top, bait on bottom, so don't see any reason it would not work well for Flathead. The drift should give a paddle tail, grub or wriggler plenty of action. I'll try it myself next time we are bottom bashing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like we should have some good feed back coming in over the next few weeks

I personally think it will work.. The last few trips I have put my sp rod in the rod holder cos my bait rod was going off and at least once a trip I've gone back to a fish on my sp, last trip was a leather jacket, trip before that was a kingy haha should hVe seen my face...

Edited by reese

Same principal as a snapper snatcher! When fishing sp's for snapper I find that when working the lure doesn't work that just dead sticking it sometimes does! A two drop rig with bait and plastic is certainly worth a shot!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Have used plastics and bait mix successfully, especially when losing baits without feeling bites so I still had one hook fishing.

For no reason other than that's the way I tried first, I put plastic on top hook of a 2 dropper rig and catch was mostly pretty even between bait and SP.

I have used this method about 15 yrs a go on a charter boat over the flathead grounds and the skipper looked and laughed at me and said i was the first to try this on his charter.Sure i got out fished 2-1 by bait but all my flathead were bigger so some of my mates asked to borrow some plastics for there rigs, and the skipper was very surprised and said he would use this method on future charters.So it does work.Cheers Darko