The Entrance After The Rain

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

First some background to this report. New years day the family headed to the entrance as we were sick of the crowds in Sydney. It was a lovely day and Council even put on some fireworks at 9pm which was great.

After lunch a couple of us went down for a walk and came across (Literally) about 100 people fishing the channel where the lakes meets the ocean. It was choas with 4 or 5 people tangling with each other every 5 mins or so, this was made worse by the raging current in that section of the channel. despite the madness, people were catching good numbers of fish. We went down to inspect a little closer and what i saw blew my mind, one bloke was fighting a fish which was giving him some decent stick, as it come to the surface i thought to myself, Salmon? ive never seen one of those caught here, WRONG, it was the biggest fattest whiting i have ever seen. I didnt get to see the measured size of the fish but i would put it easily in the range of 45-50cm. the bloke proceeded to bring out 3 more roughly the same size.

I made a note to myself that if the weather got too bad to take the boat out, id have a go land based at this spot someday.

Well today i received an unexpected hall pass from the Mrs,it was already 2pm and i was unprepared, it was windy and conditions were bad for boating. Entrance? but it had rained 300mm in some areas of the central coast in the last 48 hours. I had assumed, that the channel would be raging with dirty water full of debri, rubbish and other things easily tangled up in your line.

i took the risk and went anyway, stopped at the bait shop on the way and picked up some worms. ended up with 4 whiting the biggest going 37cm, one bream and one flatty. a good result considering it was a last minute plan. I threw back plenty of undersize whiting and even more bream, the undersize bream were in plague numbers and at one point getting the baits past them was impossible. I fished 3 hours before high tide and 3 hours after tho the direction of flow on the channel did not change, it was only going out to the ocean. Most productive time was the 2 hours before the high tide.

the water was surprisingly very very clean, come nighttime i could see prawns schooling up in the areas of stillwater. I cant comment on the rest of tuggerah lake as that could be a mess, but the channel was very clean.

Now looking forward to the trip for this weekend.

Thnks for reading

post-34022-0-45171800-1452174584_thumb.jpg

Nice repot. Yes there's been some good whiting in the run this year. How they manage all those lines and tangles beats me.

Because of the rain the water is running out all day. No run in yet. But the tide does rise down there. Bit weird.

I prawner there last night Thursday and the water is very murky and deep. Will take a couple of weeks before it gets back to normal.

Cheers Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any luck prawning Steve?

Nice repot. Yes there's been some good whiting in the run this year. How they manage all those lines and tangles beats me.
Because of the rain the water is running out all day. No run in yet. But the tide does rise down there. Bit weird.
I prawner there last night Thursday and the water is very murky and deep. Will take a couple of weeks before it gets back to normal.
Cheers Steve.

Any luck prawning Steve?

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Water was murky and deeper than usual but there was prawns I left around 11pm with close to a kilo. Marvin staid till 2am with 4 kilo

Prawn and fished the same time if that was possible, heading down tonight and give it a crack and see what happens, hope the water clears up abit

Tried that and from experience those wading behind will take out your line unknowingly. But for your info, I have heard some screamers from the rod sitting in the prawning bucket.

I am heading up to the Entrance tomorrow, interested in finding out whether they are also getting whitings on lures. Which lures do you guys recommend? I know someone posted recently catching whiting on blades.

Prawn and fished the same time if that was possible, heading down tonight and give it a crack and see what happens, hope the water clears up abit

It is possible to fish at the same time at the moment because of the depth of water. I caught a couple of whiting and a flathead last night while I was waiting for the tide to turn.

Fish in front of the unused little boat ramp on the right. Most prawners are on the left

Cheers Steve.

Steve are you talking about the boat ramp on the right of the steps where you walk down to the the prawnimg, just abit right from the car park or 50m more from the steps right? Which is better to fish? The mouth or the unused boat ramp.

Thanks heaps for the tips Steve

If your prawning id just go around that little boat ramp area near the steps. Just get away from the prawners. I hooked one last night. Ha.

The mouth is too far away. If your going tonight pm me your phone number I'll come down and put you on the spot.

Nice catch! I saw some squadron of big whiting last week.

Might go tonight for some whitings. Have some frozen prawns left and would bring live compost worms (red wigglers).

Edited by gonefishinginoz

I arrived yesterday at 8.15pm and met the Stapon and Papafish at the steps. What a chock when I saw the level of water! And the water was so murky. The current was confusing, it was running in AND out at the same time! Due to the tide and also the excess of fresh water.

It did not started well for me. My plan was to fish a bit before the actual run out time. But I forgot my bait at home. Then I could not find my socks (for the wader), so I stole Steve's and went in the water. And Papafish gave me a bit of frozen prawns he just bought.

Papafish and I started walking along the wall trying to find a shallow path that leads to the center of the lake. After a while we separated, papafish went along the shore and I continued to the middle where I know there is a deep hole and produces at night.

As I progressed I discovered it was a but tricky to get out there as some parts are deeper and on top of my 1.60m I could go under if not careful. So I used my handheld gps and loaded a track I created before and which I know is shallow. Then got to the hole and started fishing with the water a bit above the waist.

First cast behind the hole on the shallows gave me an undersize whiting. Fourth cast into the hole this time and I hooked up with something decent. The way it slowly but heavily pulled told me it was a flathead and I was right. Then more undersize whitings were caught and released until I got a second smaller flatty.

A bit of water got into my wader making it very uncomfortable. After a while I also started to get cold so decided to call it a night. I will prawn next week and hopefully the water will be cleaner.

At the steps I usually clean my fish on one of the rocks but the water was too high so my tried doing it on the floating prawning platform and it was great.

post-31714-14522941027919_thumb.jpg

Well at least you got something Huy. I went home and watched the cricket in comfort ha.

I've never seen so many gizmos in your prawning float. Little pliers and landing nets they all had a place. But you forgot your bait and SOCKS.

Don't forget to wash them. Lol

See ya next week.

Well at least you got something Huy. I went home and watched the cricket in comfort ha.

I've never seen so many gizmos in your prawning float. Little pliers and landing nets they all had a place. But you forgot your bait and SOCKS.

Don't forget to wash them. Lol

See ya next week.

lol

I didn't forget my socks. They were on the prawning float, i took them and went in the car but got distracted by something and cant remember where I dropped them...

I have to ask - prawning at the entrance - for a feed or for bait ? I'm no expert but iv never seen "eating size" prawns there

Both mate.

Any size that does not go thru the net holes can be eaten.

post-31714-1452327595504_thumb.jpg

We get them for a feed ofcourse!!! these prawns are alot better then the so call Tiger prawn or banana prawns you get from the market. fresh and sweeeeet.

I have to ask - prawning at the entrance - for a feed or for bait ? I'm no expert but iv never seen "eating size" prawns there