Tips on the Trilene Knot

Ivo

Hey Raiders,

Due to its ease to tie and the reported strength of the knot I have been trying to use the Trilene knot for a few of my hook to leader connections. However I often notice that the knot seems to slip or begin to come undone after only a few casts. Any tips on tying the knot in order to avoid this issue, or should I go back to using other knots (I often use loops as I fish HB's and SP's)

Hey Raiders,

Due to its ease to tie and the reported strength of the knot I have been trying to use the Trilene knot for a few of my hook to leader connections. However I often notice that the knot seems to slip or begin to come undone after only a few casts. Any tips on tying the knot in order to avoid this issue, or should I go back to using other knots (I often use loops as I fish HB's and SP's)

You must be doing something wrong as I have tested and used that knot for ages and it's the strongest and most reliable I know of.

Make sure you are putting the end through BOTH loops around the hook not just one. Easy to miss.

Just checking but are you using some kind of mono leader? Are you pulling it up tight with the mainline before using?

Funny that it's slipping and coming undone after only a few casts.

You must be doing something wrong as I have tested and used that knot for ages and it's the strongest and most reliable I know of.

Make sure you are putting the end through BOTH loops around the hook not just one. Easy to miss.

Just checking but are you using some kind of mono leader? Are you pulling it up tight with the mainline before using?

Funny that it's slipping and coming undone after only a few casts.

Yeah I'll have to go through the way i tie it really in depth, because i started using it simply because it seemed logical and strong and simple. I'm not sure. And yes, I'm mainly using 6-12lb mono

I have been using that knot for years but as Crossfire said I always pass the tag end through the top loop as well. I have never had a problem with it slipping and becoming undone. If you are still having problems you could tie a knot on the tag and it will stop it slipping through the trilene knot.

Don't forget to lubricate the knot before you tighten it.

Edited by Dalucius

I have been using that knot for a very long time. There is no need to lock it through the top loop in my experience. I do 4 turns and back through the 2 loops and its always good with mono from 4lb to 120lb.

I have to say, if it is coming undone or slipping you are not tying it properly.

I don't like loop knots as I haven't come across one that is as strong as this knot. I use a split ring instead and it's better anyway as it holds its round shape for the lure to move better than any loop knot in mono will.