"Cleats" for rock fishing

Peterws

I like the neoprene boots with spikes on them. Find they are the most comfortable and give the best grip in all directions. Easily available in virtually any tackle shop.

Another option is looking up some cheap crampons. I have a pair of them too they just go over your shoes and are good for longer walks to the rocks. Just don't tread on your toes with them.

I use the neoprene boots with the spikes. I think they are more comfortable and more versatile. I think cleats can be a trip hazard on some rock surfaces. I use Dunlop volleys with no cleats on the northern breakwalls because they provide good grip when wet as the rocks are to hard for cleats or spikes and the metal slides on the rocks.

I must say the cleats can get very uncomfortable after a few hours - I was wondering what the neoprene boots with spikes are like standing in the wash with green weed ect - black fishing??

Appreciate all the comments

Peter

Peter mate I have never had a problem on the rocks with them even on that black slimy crap you may slip a little bit like an inch or so but nothing to bad, but saying that when we fish off the rocks we make sure that It is safe and never put our bodies in a silly position to be swept in.

+1 for the spiked booties, they seem to last between 2 and 3× longer if you rinse them thoroughly after every use...I put them in the shower when I get home and obviously shower before bed after a fish so it's a bit easier to remember!

Hey mate I have had a few pairs of spike boots and they are really comfortable. I normally wear a pair of explorer socks in them.

The spikes do wear really quickly so have bought some Life & Sports chain spikes. They go over the boots and are awesome. I where my boots to where I want to go and then put on the spikes for fishing. Plenty of grip and really secure.

Cheers Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Cleats made and fitted correctly are comfortable, more durable and have more grip than the booties or the clamp ons that wear out quicker than you pay for them, each to their own but a good set of cleats are the way to go.

If I may add my 2 bobs worth, back in the 1970's we used plastic sandals that had many small "knobs" on the sole. We then simply screwed s/s self-tapper screws into 50% of the knobs and they worked beautifully. Yes the screws did wear down after a time but could be easily be removed with a pair of pliers and replaced.

Having tried cleats, I think they are a trip hazard. In those days, I fished South Avoca and frequently had to run across the rocks to follow the schools of tuna - you cannot do that safely wearing cleats. And the screws work just fine for scraping weed and cabbage off the rocks for burley for luderick.

Steve

If I may add my two bobs worth as well, try the screws out on the hidden light brown slime compared to cleats, bet you can`t guess who is left standing? I`ve seen more slips and stacks over the years from the screws in shoes theory due to not being used in the correct surroundings, they work in most rock fishing surrounds, but not in all!!! especially on the lower ledges fished around the Eastern Suburbs, anyone who has fished these lower ledges will know of this brown film :-)

Edited by DYMAN