What line and rig for land based kings?

Mike89

I've been on hiatus from fishing for nigh on a couple of months now and will be heading back home to Sydney next week.

I'm looking forward to catching my first king over the warmer months before school starts back again in March, and am wondering what line size and rigging raiders here like to use for LB kings.

As far as I've gathered as a shore based angler I won't be catching any fish of monster proportions, but know these fish will give me a good run for my money.

Is it true that I won't need an ultra-heavy line? I've heard a lot of fishos catching kings in the 60-90cm range on anywhere between 6lb to 10lb line.

Went for a session before I left with an experienced mate throwing out yakkas chained up to heavy leads into deep water. I had a 40lb leader which my mate promptly switched for a 100lb leader - he reckoned I'd need it in case he swallowed the line and there was a risk of the fish chewing through it.

I was pretty sceptical of the necessity of such a heavy line. Learnt a lot from the bloke and he definitely has a wealth of experience to draw on and catches his fair share but I do find some of his methods a bit questionable! I guess that's why I'm the novice though.

What do you guys like to use?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For lures and stickbaits, I use a 50lb flouro , to 40lb braid, then i hope nothing bigger than around 10-11 kg grabs it, because its shallow and snaggy where i fish.

For live baiting, i use 150lb leader , and i thought maybe it was costing me fish being too heavy, so i switched to 80lb for a few months, and didnt notice any real difference in the fish size or numbers that i caught. The 80lb i bought is stiff ugly stuff thats very hard to tie a knot in, so i went back to 150lb.

I think your mate is right in using 100lb leader , he has just already learned his lesson from a good fish, thats all.

Guys that are using 6lb to 10lb line for land based kings arent serious fishos, they are the guys that watched ifish, and decided that they could do it too, and they are happy catching undersize fish. Set your sights a little higher than that.

It does happen, generally I bring a 10lb rod for a bit of fun inbetween runs (for the likes of bonito and small pelagics) but my heavy outfit is not all that heavy....I run an 8-12kg 9ft penn rod with a Daiwa surf basia (12kg max) and generally don't go above 40lb braid 80lb leader. A lot of blokes are running straight 50lb mono to 80lb fluro on the bigger reels.

Guest Guest123456789

If you'll be going from the rocks, here is what I suggest.

Take two set ups' one light and one heavy.

The light, 10lbs braid to 16lbs fluro. A 3000 reel is fine.

The heavy, 20lbs braid to 30lbs fluro. A 5000 or 6000 reel is fine.

Rods in the 6'6 to 8 foot style are the go. Too big and you cant work lures and will suffer leverage when you hook one up.

Live baiting, yakkas, squid, trevally, whiting, small tailor, slimies.

Lures, 20 to 60 gram metals, 6 inch soft plastics (white colour) or up to 80 gram poppers (Qantas colours).

Edited by Guest123456789

The one who wasn't targeting 80cm fish.

Im sure based on what you said you fish ocean rocks most of the time, but since I fish inside most of the time, there comes a time when you realise kingfish can be extremely picky in estuaries. I guarantee you if you fished 150lb off a wharf, 99.999% of the time you wouldn't hook up. Just an observation on my behalf, no need to attack how other people fish saying they aren't as good or serious fishermen.

Im sure based on what you said you fish ocean rocks most of the time, but since I fish inside most of the time, there comes a time when you realise kingfish can be extremely picky in estuaries. I guarantee you if you fished 150lb off a wharf, 99.999% of the time you wouldn't hook up. Just an observation on my behalf, no need to attack how other people fish saying they aren't as good or serious fishermen.

x 1.

Try catching them on a handline for some serious fishing.

I didn't attack anyone, was trying to help the original poster , that was the only intention for my post. Its ok, you guys go fish your 10lb if it makes you happy or if it is more suitable in the area you fish or size of fish you catch.

-1 to anyone saying a kingfish outfit should comprise of 10lb anything ....since everyone wants to give scores.

If you'll be going from the rocks, here is what I suggest.

Take two set ups' one light and one heavy.

The light, 10lbs braid to 16lbs fluro. A 3000 reel is fine.

The heavy, 20lbs braid to 30lbs fluro. A 5000 or 6000 reel is fine.

Rods in the 6'6 to 8 foot style are the go. Too big and you cant work lures and will suffer leverage when you hook one up.

Live baiting, yakkas, squid, trevally, whiting, small tailor, slimies.

Lures, 20 to 60 gram metals, 6 inch soft plastics (white colour) or up to 80 gram poppers (Qantas colours).

And you recommend live baiting with a 5000 or 6000 size spinning reel with 20-30lb flouro? I hope you dont feel attacked when i give you -1 for that gem too.

And you recommend live baiting with a 5000 or 6000 size spinning reel with 20-30lb flouro? I hope you dont feel attacked when i give you -1 for that gem too.

Sorry mate only youre the right one, everyone else has no idea and cant fish. Edited by Krispy !

I didn't attack anyone, was trying to help the original poster , that was the only intention for my post. Its ok, you guys go fish your 10lb if it makes you happy or if it is more suitable in the area you fish or size of fish you catch.

-1 to anyone saying a kingfish outfit should comprise of 10lb anything ....since everyone wants to give scores.

No worries mate, you keep fishing 150lb for kings, how fun is that

Guest Guest123456789

All good mate no offence taken.

My stradic fj5000 reel has 17kgs of drag. Have you tried adjusting your reel to get 17kgs of drag? Not many blokes or girls could keep their feet with that much drag applied.

The trag in my profile pic was caught using a live yakka on my 5000 stradic. 88cm, handled it no problem.

Sorry I just can't see why you want 150lbs of leader, have the Kings your way got genetically modified great white jaws?

+1

24kg main line and 100 pound leader, if you want to live dangerously drop down to 15kg and 80 pound leader!

All good mate no offence taken.

My stradic fj5000 reel has 17kgs of drag. Have you tried adjusting your reel to get 17kgs of drag? Not many blokes or girls could keep their feet with that much drag applied.

The trag in my profile pic was caught using a live yakka on my 5000 stradic. 88cm, handled it no problem.

Sorry I just can't see why you want 150lbs of leader, have the Kings your way got genetically modified great white jaws?

No i haven't tried to adjust my reel to get 17kg of drag ever. I am more of a traditional fisherman, in the sense that i use a drag setting approx. 1/3 of the breaking strain of the main line. I have never fished 51kg line, and don't intend to.

If you fish with 20lb mainline on your stradic fj5000 with 17kg of drag and have success, all the best to you.

And no, i believe the kings i find have normal jaws...but the reef that they frequent is very sharp and snaggy. I have lost good fish at my feet even with 150lb leader and also out wide sometimes. And i have had quite a few fish landed with a chafed up leader that i doubt i would have landed if it was much lighter.

I have a stradic 5000 , i know what they can do, and i know what they cant do...so i have other reels for those purposes.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, i was trying to offer valid advice. I am old ...perhaps i have just seen a few more lost fish over my time on the rocks.

Guest Guest123456789

No i haven't tried to adjust my reel to get 17kg of drag ever. I am more of a traditional fisherman, in the sense that i use a drag setting approx. 1/3 of the breaking strain of the main line. I have never fished 51kg line, and don't intend to.

If you fish with 20lb mainline on your stradic fj5000 with 17kg of drag and have success, all the best to you.

And no, i believe the kings i find have normal jaws...but the reef that they frequent is very sharp and snaggy. I have lost good fish at my feet even with 150lb leader and also out wide sometimes. And i have had quite a few fish landed with a chafed up leader that i doubt i would have landed if it was much lighter.

I have a stradic 5000 , i know what they can do, and i know what they cant do...so i have other reels for those purposes.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, i was trying to offer valid advice. I am old ...perhaps i have just seen a few more lost fish over my time on the rocks.

Ahh yeah that makes sense. I see you're chasing the 10kg+ monsters, yeah agree totally a 5000 reel is silly for that scenario.

I think Mike will be starting on the rat kings initially from land based locations, rather than gunning for gamefish records straight away.

I too hope I didn't offend you or anyone else, we are all fellow raiders :) have a good one. Cheers,

Luke

Edited by Guest123456789

just a misunderstanding man, i didn't really realize he was after advice to catch the smaller ones. I am just cranky because the swell is up and i cannot be soaking a line.

On a side note, those stradic 5000s are really nice for their price and i have already recommended them to a couple of mates after using mine for a few months.

I am yet to catch a kingfish off the rocks but am trying with shimano fj stradic 4000, 30lb braid and 40lb leader.

My guess is I lose more than I catch but a hell of a lot of fun trying.

So I say fish how you want, it's a boring world if everybody did everything the same.

For lures and stickbaits, I use a 50lb flouro , to 40lb braid, then i hope nothing bigger than around 10-11 kg grabs it, because its shallow and snaggy where i fish.

For live baiting, i use 150lb leader , and i thought maybe it was costing me fish being too heavy, so i switched to 80lb for a few months, and didnt notice any real difference in the fish size or numbers that i caught. The 80lb i bought is stiff ugly stuff thats very hard to tie a knot in, so i went back to 150lb.

I think your mate is right in using 100lb leader , he has just already learned his lesson from a good fish, thats all.

Guys that are using 6lb to 10lb line for land based kings arent serious fishos, they are the guys that watched ifish, and decided that they could do it too, and they are happy catching undersize fish. Set your sights a little higher than that.

Try telling that to Krispy he smashes the kings on 10lb in the Harbour.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Gday raiders. Ive been following this topic as has been good banter and love how everyone agrees at the end. So now everything is clear it sounds ljke everyonr loves these stradic 5000s. I am currently looking at investing in getting a new spinning combo about 6'6" as i am about to get intp jet ski fishing. Wpuld you recommend this real for chasing pelagics few miles off shore?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Try telling that to Krispy he smashes the kings on 10lb in the Harbour.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I haven't fished the harbour so i wouldn't know what happens there. There is obviously more ways than one to catch a kingy and everyone should just do what works for them in their situation. Sorry for offering my advice , it wont happen again.