Landbase fishing at Woy Woy (help me a noob out).

Howe

Hi Fishraiders.

I'm a noob at landbase fishing, never caught a legal size fish :I, every time i go fishing its either small fish or no fish. I'm planning to go to Woy Woy by train and was wondering if there are any spots that i should go have a flick. I'm using prawns as bait. (mainline -> sinker -> swivel -> hook), is this a good set up?. I'm hoping to catch a legal size whiting, bream or flathead.

Many Thanks.

Pls be specific of the spots, google map images would be helpful :).

Hey Mate

Set up is fine for those species, I'd recommend nothing more that 10lb mainline onto a 6lb leader (the lighter you fish the more hookups generally) 1m length.

Prawns are OK, frozen are not the best but still catch fish. Cooked vannamei prawns (Thailand ones from the deli @ coles / Woolies) are a gun bait for bream & flatties, fresh local / live baits such as worms or nippers even better.

As for fishing in Woy Woy I'm no expert but I've seen the area, a general rule is finding a spot with moving water, differing depths and a mix of sand and weed - that should get you started.

If you come into Woy Woy by train walk north on Brisbane Water Dr (the road that goes to West Gosford) and fish from the rocks under Spike Milligan bridge. Cast lightly weighted baits into the channel under the bridge and let them drift with the current. You can fish from the rocks on either side, so pick the side where the wind will help rather than hinder the cast. Dawn or dusk are the prime times if you are committed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

I have not fished Woy Woy for a while but when I use to I always started at the the T wharf that the ferry goes to. Which you can see at the right of the screen shot below

2bf73d952da43bb880bcf9c9f0c0f3b4.jpg

Also you can fish off the enclosed swimming area which is just down from the T wharf . You will catch most species like bream, flathead, whiting and if you have the right bait blackfish but I mostly fish for leather jackets around this area. I use a small long shank hook with a a little bit of peeled prawn and that normally dose the trick. Hope this helps

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a few good flatties up at Phegans Bay on Australia Day. A little far from Woy Woy station on the shoe lace express but worth it! There are also a few jettys and public wharfs in the area. The setup you have is fine! Good luck!

post-37344-14542370232938_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14542370436884_thumb.jpg

=

I picked up a few good flatties up at Phegans Bay on Australia Day. A little far from Woy Woy station on the shoe lace express but worth it! There are also a few jettys and public wharfs in the area. The setup you have is fine! Good luck!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1454237022.280814.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1454237042.129687.jpg

Are you allowed to fish on those wharf? is it private?.

=

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1454237022.280814.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1454237042.129687.jpg

Are you allowed to fish on those wharf? is it private?.

Hey mate, 90 Percent sure the ones over at Phegans bay are public. Also, the 'Pin drop' on the south side are all private apart from the last one from memory.

you cant miss it from the road, open public section.

Best of a few worlds there, got a deep channel, weed beds and a bit of a rocky ledge.

Good luck!

Hey mate, 90 Percent sure the ones over at Phegans bay are public. Also, the 'Pin drop' on the south side are all private apart from the last one from memory.

Best of a few worlds there, got a deep channel, weed beds and a bit of a rocky ledge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info :) i shall go have a look soon.

Good luck!

Btw you fish with prawns or lures?.