Broken Bay - Massive school of salmon

Brew

G'day Raiders,

I was speaking to a mate of mine this morning and he told me there was a massive school of salmon hanging around the heads of Broken Bay so I thought I would jump in the boat and check it out.

I got to just past Flint and Steel at around 12pm and I couldn't believe what I was seeing - they were everywhere. From Flint and Steel all the way to West Head and about three quarters over to Lyon Island.

I only had my light rods with me so I used my 2/4 kilo braided outfit (I can't remember if it was 2 or 4 as I have two spools) and just trolled a small metal pilchard lure around. Got hit straight away. The salmon are a pretty good size so most of the time it took about 15 mins to get each one in. After getting 4 (3 returned) I snapped the line on my 5th so I needed to re-rig.

post-31230-0-47049100-1453468231_thumb.jpg

The swell was a bit sharp so I motored over to Lion Island to a protected spot to re-rig and have lunch.

I cut up the salmon and put a few slabs out while I had lunch and got myself a nice 57cm flathead which was put back for another day.

post-31230-0-14811700-1453468226_thumb.jpg

After re-rigging I went back to the salmon and strangely they didn't want to touch my new metal lure. It was a basic metal blade. I guess they were eating something close to my first lure. I tried for a while longer and noticed that the fishfinder was showing masses of bait schools with some interesting larger fish around so I changed tactics and put a Halco Laser Pro out the back on a slightly stronger rod and line.

Nothing hit and the rain started which flattened the sea so I headed out around Barrenjoey with the Laser Pro still out the back. Once out there I saw hundreds of birds (mostly sitting) but a few looking around so I headed about 2 km off shore and trolled around them for about another half an hour.

The rain was starting to come in really heavy so I thought it was time to call it a day so headed back via Valiant Wreck and past a couple of Fairy Penguins (they were out there for a reason). About 200m before Valiant I got hit and after a bit of a fight had a nice Bonito on board. The bonito spat out loads of small bait fish while on board so that's what they are chasing - just like my first lure.

post-31230-0-86163700-1453468235_thumb.jpg

post-31230-0-23346100-1453468241_thumb.jpg

As I didn't have any ice and I wanted the Bonito for sashimi I packed up and headed home in the thumping rain.

I hope this helps you get onto something this weekend. It's worth getting out there.

Gday Brew,

I was out in Broken bay on thursday as well.I couldnt believe how much action there was.

i was on a sportsrider with a few other mates, dont know if you saw us.

we landed a heap of salmon and one kingfish to fellow raider ozcar. we got heaps of strikes.

post-37270-0-34743700-1453523183_thumb.jpg

we got more in that hour than we had in the previous 5 hours.

i was using a 40lb braid outfit with a halco laser pro red head diver which got good results.

post-37270-0-53096300-1453523260_thumb.jpg

post-37270-0-15531800-1453523325_thumb.jpg

See attached pics

Tom

We moved to the basin from smiths creek yesterday morning and noticed a lot of fish on the sounder as we approached Lion Island. Didn't fish as we are in relax mode. Might launch the dinghy today and go and have a look. Good report and sounds like loads of fun.

Howe, you can take a walking trail down to Flint and Steel but it takes a while. About 40 minutes from memory. Steep walk back up so you don't want too many salmon in the bucket!

Haha, if only i can catch a fish :P. Never caught anything legal :(.

Howe, you can take a walking trail down to Flint and Steel but it takes a while. About 40 minutes from memory. Steep walk back up so you don't want too many salmon in the bucket!

Any where close to public transport?

Cheers.

Didn't go out in the end.

Thought it would be a bit lumpy

A mate did and he came back with a pretty good salmon (2.16 Kg cleaned) so I guess that they are out there

Not 100% sure where he was but it was on the Lion Island side of a line between Box Head

and Barrenjoey. I think he did that because it means you aren't in Open Water

I was out there with a mate yesterday morning just after dawn. As we came towards flint and steel we saw a load of birds working and a massive boil on the southern side of Broken bay in the stretch up to west head. There were a few boats already there casting into it (including two guys fly fishing i think). We stopped for a bit and tried our luck with a spanyid raider and a metal slug but didn't hook-up. The school of baitfish was massive and at one point moved right under our boat, the water was thick with them. We didn't see any of the other boats manage to hook-up either so we continued to west head for some livies.

On the way back to the ramp around 10:45 we came around west head and the school was still there but moving further upstream, and this time with a load more boats fishing it, but couldn;t see anyone hooking up. We saw a guy fishing shore based at flint and steel who looked to have caught a nice salmon. We stopped and fished it again but this time my mate had a crack with an old cheap-o chrome slug he had found in his tackle box. It was bigger than the previous lures and rusty, but had some follows from some decent sized tailor and he managed to hook up to a tailor (just legal or just under) for about 5 casts in a row. All fish released as we were both busy in the arvo/evening and wouldn't have been able to cook the tailor fresh.

We also saw 4 nice Bonito zip past us while anchored at the pill boxed at west head (which happened to be about 60 seconds after I had reeled in a live yakka as we were going to move on). Not sure if they would have taken a bait that size but I'm dead keen to catch my first bonnie! Trolled a pink squid skirt for a bit also for no takers

So still seems to be a fair bit of activity from that large school