My first king....

fiveflies

Well, after purchasing a kayak a couple of weeks ago and enjoying some good days on the water catching flatties and bream yesterday was a major highlight.

I'd decided to head down to Gray's Point and to drift upstream with the incoming tide, fish the high and then drift back downstream. But when I got to the ramp a couple of guys had just come out in their boat and told me there were heaps of kings and tailor down near Lilli Pilli off the baths. Now, being new to kayaking and not sure how well I'd go paddling against the tide I decided that was too far to go. But by this stage I was at the ramp later than planned and the tide was about to turn and run out.

So, I decided to drift with the tide and head downstream. This took me in the direction of Lilli Pilli anyway. I managed a nice flattie (~50cm) just down from the ramp on a SP which was nice. Always good to start off a session with a decent fish. After about an hour and a half I decided I'd have a look downstream and head towards Lilli Pilli. As I rounded the last corner I could see the baths off in the distance and decided they were too far away given I'd be paddling against the tide on the way home. Fitness being an issue!

So, in about 13m of water I drifted a pillie cube on a hook while jigging my SP. I was just jigging slowly, with small lifts when suddenly there was weight on the line. I was fishing a small outfit (2500 baitrunner reel with 4lb braid and 8lb fc leader on a 2-4kg rod). The rod was bent over and the reel screaming. I didn't know what it was but my heart was racing. First decent fish I've hooked like this and had to keep telling myself to relax and not over do it. The fish went on several runs with the reel making that lovely sound as the drag pulled. After about four runs I could see my leader and then colour. It was a decent size and as it came closer I could see it was a king!!!! Now I was even more nervous and excited and had to really concentrate on not stuffing up and losing the fish.

A few more runs and a few more sightings plus failed attempts to net the fish when finally it was in the net and in the kayak. I was so pumped and shaking from the excitement. Didn't have anything long enough to measure it but it was under 65, around 60-62 I reckon. I didn't care as I'd had a fantastic fight and it was a beautiful fish as far as I was concerned!!

After a few pics I put him back in and watched him swim away. A great day, a lovely fish and one very happy fisherman!!

post-34651-0-13058300-1454028783_thumb.jpgpost-34651-0-55205400-1454028801_thumb.jpgpost-34651-0-12298300-1454028821_thumb.jpgpost-34651-0-99321100-1454028847_thumb.jpg

Edited by fiveflies

well done, nice fish. they are definitely a good looking fish. you also done well landing it on such light gear would have been a very tense fight for you!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

It was a great and tense fight. I kept waiting for some ping as something broke. Very happy that my knots and line remained in tack. Lovely looking fish.

Great report.. I can feel the nervous excitement.

They are a great fish at any size.

Cheers

Jim

I know lots of people on here have caught bigger specimens but you'll never forget your first!

I got first king just a few days ago as well so i can safely say i know how you feel, well done mate!

Yeah, read your report. Great work. Nice to see a few of us getting firsts and that there are still lots of healthy fish around.

Awesome work mate! Got my first from the yak a week ago and it's definitely the best fight in it I've had! You won't stop grinning for a while yet. Keep it coming!

You're right, I haven't stopped grinning. During the fight you become completely immersed in the action and oblivious anything else. Feeling the yak being pulled around and fighting the fish is brilliant!

Edited by fiveflies

Well done, they are good fun to catch. I recently re-tied my leaders with FG knots and latched onto a rat King drifting in the channel before Towra in Botany bay on similar gear. It was certainly a good test of my new knot and happy it passed as did yours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done, they are good fun to catch. I recently re-tied my leaders with FG knots and latched onto a rat King drifting in the channel before Towra in Botany bay on similar gear. It was certainly a good test of my new knot and happy it passed as did yours!

All mine were uni knots with three twists and so far so good!! Nice to know that the lighter gear can still do the job. I'm not sure how it would have gone if it'd been above legal size though!! Although, I'd like to find out!

All mine were uni knots with three twists and so far so good!! Nice to know that the lighter gear can still do the job. I'm not sure how it would have gone if it'd been above legal size though!! Although, I'd like to find out!

Three twists, that sounds a bit light, perhaps my prior Unis were overkill!

For uni-uni I have used 6 turns on the mono side (6-12 lb) and 12 on the braid (6 lb). For my FG I run 30. For terminal tackle in Unis I use 6 for 10 lb and 8 for 6 lb flouro. That seems to work well for me. I would be worried about only 3 turns unravelling under load.

Edited by Tastee

Three twists, that sounds a bit light, perhaps my prior Unis were overkill!

For uni-uni I have used 6 turns on the mono side (6-12 lb) and 12 on the braid (6 lb). For my FG I run 30. For terminal tackle in Unis I use 6 for 10 lb and 8 for 6 lb flouro. That seems to work well for me. I would be worried about only 3 turns unravelling under load.

Actually, for joining the braid to the leader I don't use uni knots. I'm not sure what they're called but I loop the mono/fc then thread the braid through, twisting 13 times, then bring it back on itself five times, thread back through the loop in the opposite direction, lubricate then pull tight. Uni knots on the terminal side, on swivels (if working with a trace and hook) and to the jig head.

So far so good!!!

Edited by fiveflies