Quintrex cruise about 510 vs Savage Beachcomber 545

jeffb5.8

Hi

I thought I had narrowed down my boat choices to either a very tide 2nd Quintrex bowrider (2008 onwards or a new Quintrex 510.

But a dealer has now asked me to check out the Savage beachcomber 545 bowrider.

Does anyone have any feed back on the Savage compared to the Quintrex?

Level of comfort build quality ect?

Cheers

Hey mate,

Have you thought about what you plan on doing with the boat? Bowrider and cabin will provide different activities.

My friend used to have a Savage bow rider, was good, no issues there. But we couldn't take that outside the heads. Too low, cop waves over the top all the time etc. If you go fishing, you have people fishing from the bow and the rear, gets a bit messy. Just things you need to consider: are you really going to use that lounge at the front? Or is that more for the family days? These boats don't have the same protection if you do wish to fish outside. The cabin boat will be heaps better.

I was in this position many years ago and was leading towards a bowrider but after writing a list I went with the cabin.

My friend has a Haines Signature Bow rider, he loves it, but when it comes to fishing it's uncomfortable and he doesn't like going outside.

I looked at bow riders and dismissed them really quick. On a bad day or with a weather change you can get a lot of water coming across the front even in enclosed water such as botany the hacking or lake Illawarra.

Now riders are great for fair weather cruising and family days but I have just as much fun having everyone down the back or even fishing. Ultimately decision is yours but seriously consider what your primary requirements are and how often you will use the boat for its different purposes.

Cheers Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the front any lower in the 510 Bowrider than on the 510 coast runner or what about people with centre console boats they still go outside the heads?

I don't foresee me going more than a few hundred meters out the heads of Sydney and if I did it would have the bow cover on and would only be myself and a mate or two.

The reason for the Bowrider is my wife wants to be on the water but away from the fishing. She has visions of reading a book while I fish. She currently tries this in my 4.1 tinnie just not comfortable. My choice was the coast runner 510, except the extra people capacity of the Bowrider was appealing since I have 3 kids and they want to bring friends.

Spend most of my time in the Syd harbour - Hawkesbury and St George's Basin.

Have fished a fair bit out of a few quintrex bowriders and cannot say I was any wetter than out of similar runabouts.

Might wait a bit longer and go to the trailer boat show at Homebush for another look.

Thanks guys for the replies

Edited by jeffb5.8

Hi Jeff,

I can't help much comparing the quintrex to savage unfortunately.

I had from new a 2003 quintrex freedom sport Bowrider 5.3 m. 115hp Yamaha, In 2015 we changed to a 2015 Stacer Bowrider 5.7 150 etec.

Comparing those two boats the quintrex was more stable at rest, it was prone to prop ventilation/cavitation whilst doing water sports. The freeboard seemed higher.

The Stacer turns on a dime, rides better but is not quite as stable at rest. It is more sensitive or responsive to the trim settings. Ideally I think trim tabs would suit this boat as it can sit a bit port or starboard whilst underway.

To drive I would take the sportier feel of the Stacer every day it just feels so much better sitting position and all. Just my opinion.

If I was only fishing outside I would think a cabin is the way to go. For general all round use the bow rider is unreal. The half cabins we had every body wanted to sit up the back rather than be closed in.

The bowriders are also good for casting lures and jigs from especially without a Bimini on using it as an open boat. Also very easy to get the anchor ect, we never use the bow cover on the water, it just cuts off half the boat.

I use mine inside and outside in the right conditions. There are plenty of centre consoles and walk around doing the same.

I hope that helps.

I think some of my issue into why I haven't just bought one already is the cost,

I prefer a new 510 Bowrider but my inner tight arse is happy with a 2nd hand 540 freedom sport.

The difference is almost $20,000

I can just afford either but I know how hard I and my wife have to work for $20k but all the 2nd hand boats are 10yrs old.