Port Hacking - a slow start

Yowie

Tried near Deer Park early this morning for the tailor, and apart from something bigger that grabbed the yakka line and eventually took the hook, nothing else. A few little pickers, but most of the time, the baits were not touched. Pillies, squid, fish strips, just not getting a nibble. Burley did not help at all. For the first time in a long, long time, I did not catch one little reddie of any size.

A livey I sent out swam about for more than an hour. The water was a good colour after the rain, which usually brings about some fish, but not today.

Up anchor and I moved to a couple of different spots to cast a small metal lure. A few tailor but all undersized. 2 small kingies followed the lure on one retrieve, but they were small.

When the tide hit dead low, I pumped some nippers and tried drifting various sand flats on the run-up. Small pickers at first, then I found a patch of flatties and pulled out the 6, not big fish but some nice fillets just the same. Not fast and furious fishing, but enough to keep me occupied for a while.

The marks behind the heads of the flatties in the photo are where I snapped the necks of the fish.

post-13153-0-55406900-1454299095_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Yowie, not a bad way to kick off your week. sounds like it was pretty quiet but at least you managed a feed but it sounds like you had to really work for it this time.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

Nathan

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Yowie, not a bad way to kick off your week. sounds like it was pretty quiet but at least you managed a feed but it sounds like you had to really work for it this time.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

Nathan

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Yes, I had to work for a feed today.

Reading your report I started to think you might be finally having a day like us mere mortals. But no you came up with the goods again.

It took some time to find the fish. I arrived home much later than usual, and the missus asked me if I had trouble finding my way back home. :074:

I was in the Hacking today and it was really quiet. Got going a bit later than you but all the usual spots produced nothing! Only undersize specimens seemed to be interested in my bait and lures.

Has been fairly quiet for a while, but, schools of whitebait are now turning up. Can only improve.