Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli.

Hooked a just legal tailor first cast, then nothing after that, apart from a few small reddies. Tried for yakkas, and only 1 bite for a large yakka.

Was looking like nothing was going to happen, so I cut a fillet from the tailor and cut it into strips. Had another small run, but when I hooked up, it was the jewie. Put up a good fight on a hand line.

Hooked up the yakka, and it kept swimming just off the bottom. A small run on the yakka, which I thought was another jewie, then it appeared to drop the yakka. The fish had actually swum under the boat with the yakka, and loaded up the rod, so I had to pass the rod under the anchor rope as the fish was heading to the surface. A bit of a fight and up came the flattie, with just the yakka tail sticking out of it's gob. A photo taken and it was released.

Saw a couple of surface splashes, possibly tailor, but no hits on a lure. This time last year, the surface action had taken off in the Hacking, but still rather quiet so far, have not seen any frigates yet.

post-13153-0-36218800-1455584495_thumb.jpg

post-13153-0-91608300-1455584525_thumb.jpg

Great catch Yowie!!

Either one of those fish would warrant a few trips out each but getting two in the one day is a great effort!

Well done on releasing the big girl (It's hard I know and I keep the odd one) enjoy that jewie - the most rewarding fish to eat!

Cheers, James

Great result. Been windy today, but I reckon you were out early enough to have the best of it!

The Hacking always seems to produce something.

A few good fish.

Nice to release that big Girl.

It's the law in QLD @ 75+ should be here too!

JD

Great catch Yowie!!

Either one of those fish would warrant a few trips out each but getting two in the one day is a great effort!

Well done on releasing the big girl (It's hard I know and I keep the odd one) enjoy that jewie - the most rewarding fish to eat!

Cheers, James

Thank you all.

Ate a bigger flattie many years ago, it was a little bit chewie compared to the average size. Now release them from about 60cm and upwards.

Hey guys, first time posting but I luckily have got most of the work done this week so I'm going to take tomorrow off. I was thinking of heading to lilli pilli as I see a few people have gone there before and had some luck and I want a change of scenery from my local sPots as I have had no luck lately. I'm just wondering when I look up lilli pilli it shows on maps it shows lilli lilli point reserve nestled in a mass amount of trees but then what looks to be 300-400 meters to the west, is a jetty. I'm just wondering if this is acssesible for public . I would add a screen shot but can't figure out how haha. If I'm completely looking in the wrong area. I would really appreciate some pointers on where to head around these areas

Cheers

Nice catch there!! How far off the bottom were u fishing? Or was it winked to the bottom assuming you caught a big flatty^^

Fishing with baits on the bottom. Flatties will swim a few metres off the bottom to grab a fish.

Hey guys, first time posting but I luckily have got most of the work done this week so I'm going to take tomorrow off. I was thinking of heading to lilli pilli as I see a few people have gone there before and had some luck and I want a change of scenery from my local sPots as I have had no luck lately. I'm just wondering when I look up lilli pilli it shows on maps it shows lilli lilli point reserve nestled in a mass amount of trees but then what looks to be 300-400 meters to the west, is a jetty. I'm just wondering if this is acssesible for public . I would add a screen shot but can't figure out how haha. If I'm completely looking in the wrong area. I would really appreciate some pointers on where to head around these areas

Cheers

There is a public wharf at Lilli Pilli, but it can be rather crowded at times.