Sydney bream

daniel ogden

Headed to Sydney today with a mate on my double kayak to try and get some bream around man made structure on plastics. I started with a gulp shrimp and my mate with an ecogear bream prawn. We both started by casting at oyster encrusted pylons which gave me one just legal fish and my mate with one just legal and one about 30. From there i got continous bites but i just couldnt hook them. My mate went on to get around 3 more fish on ecogear bream prawns and 1 on a zman slimswimz. We weren't having the luck we wanted so we moved to boat hulls, my mates first cast with the slim swimz and landed a nice just legal bream. Next cast he was on and i had swapped to the 2.5 zman grubs (good decision) and i was on also, double hookup!! We both landed the b ream and both were about 32cm each. We kept casting at boat hulls and under twin hulls boats and i got a good take and the fish headed back under the hull with a good run, i turned its head and landed it, a good fish at 36cm. We went on to get a few more bream around 25-30 cm on the grubz and then had to head home.

Very pleased with 5 legal bream for me and 7 bream for my mate with most being legal, not to mention the annoying tailor that were caught. Pretty good for a 4 hour session. All fish were released unharmed. Couldn't take photos as it was raining and didn't want to ruin phone.

Cheers, daniel.

Jig heads need to be sized to suit the plastic your using and what you want the plastic to do - if the fish are holding or feeding around the area directly under the hull, then use a jig head that will maximise your time in the strike zone. (Hidden weight system jig heads are good cause they dont slam into the hull if you over cook the delivery and spook the bream).

Cheers Blood Knot