Off Garie - Sunday 21.2.16

sydney south

Spiky flathead are definitely a different species to undersized flathead. They are the gun bait for the other bigger species of flathead.

Don't think "undersized flathead" is a species...just refers to a flathead that is illegal to take.

Spiky flathead are definitely a different species to undersized flathead. They are the gun bait for the other bigger species of flathead.

I did asked the question twice via email to fisheries, as I have always believed that spikey flathead can be used as bait like poddy mullet.

They told me all species of flathead have to be a min of 33cm.

I've heard old wives tales that if you rub the wound from the spikes along the belly of the fish it can take away the pain probably not a great fix though =)

definitely works....have used this fix often

I'm not aware of a "Spikey Flathead" as a species of Flathead (NOTE- not saying there isn't) but, I like others on the thread call small Flathead, Spikeys. And this is more prevalent with the Ocean species,(Sand, Tiger, Marbled) rather than say, Duskys in a Estuary situation.

Many years ago a fellow I knew who really was into Fish ID and had credentials to go with it, always insisted on a Latin name to identify a fish because of common names cause confusion.

Happy for someone to put up a Latin name for a "Spikey" Flathead as that would be interesting.

Happy Sunday and watch those waves on the coast. Stay safe.

I did asked the question twice via email to fisheries, as I have always believed that spikey flathead can be used as bait like poddy mullet.

They told me all species of flathead have to be a min of 33cm.

Dusky flathead are 36cm minimum,!!

Edited by raysenior