Newbie question

goryee

Ok. So I'm a beginner. Just wondering if you fishing legends can provide me with some advice.

So I've tied the line to go through the sinker and then knotted around the swivel. On the other end, I did a knot on the lure to the swivel. Is this how you do it?

Also, it feels like the lure is too heavy, my reel keeps on spinning as it can't support the weight. Does that mean it's too heavy or something wrong with the reel??

Also, do I need to put baits on the end of the lure or will I be fine using just the lure?

Hope you guys/girls can help

Thanks

3c26c72d4ea51dbbb27c6e465628d808.jpgde8eceecbee0c3e361cadce48e341fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, I'm not a pro but I can help you out a tad. From what I know you shouldn't need to tie a sinker to the lure. Just use the lure as is either straight to the main line or to the swivel depending on the type of lure it is (some lure pro correct me on this. I'm hopeless at lures).

If you can't reel your lure back in and it just keeps spinning, you can tighten the drag (the dial thing at the front of your reel in most cases). Just twist it clockwise until the line starts coming back on. If it's max out and you still cant retrieve the lure then I would imagine the lure is too heavy, but I don't think that will be an issue :)

And no I dont think you need to bait up the hooks of your lure.

Best of luck mate!

Hey mate, I'm not a pro but I can help you out a tad. From what I know you shouldn't need to tie a sinker to the lure. Just use the lure as is either straight to the main line or to the swivel depending on the type of lure it is (some lure pro correct me on this. I'm hopeless at lures).

If you can't reel your lure back in and it just keeps spinning, you can tighten the drag (the dial thing at the front of your reel in most cases). Just twist it clockwise until the line starts coming back on. If it's max out and you still cant retrieve the lure then I would imagine the lure is too heavy, but I don't think that will be an issue :)

And no I dont think you need to bait up the hooks of your lure.

Best of luck mate!

That lure is designed for jigging, trolling, and cast and retrieve.

These are all different fishing techniques.

Just because its a called a lure doesn't mean it will simply catch a fish.

Your rig sounds right for bait fishing. Lose the lure, tie on a hook with some fresh bait.

But the best advice I can give Keep asking questions. Keep learning.

That's what Fishraider is all about.

as Allen_j said no need for the sinker with that lure,

bait not required but you can buy scent jell for the lure not a necessity,

once again far from professional advice but myself I would be using 1 to 2 meters of mono from the swivel to the lure in case it drags across a hard sharp surface.

I also use snap swivels instead of just a swivel for a quick & easy change of lure.

Brett

1 to 2 meters from the swivel? Could be interesting casting. 1 to 2 feet is more like it. As has been said, take the lure off , put a hook on , and you have a good bait fishing rig. Or take the sinker off if you want to throw the lure around.

G'day Goryee. My name is Neil and I have been fishing for more than 60 years so I can offer you some good advice. Tell me where you are able to go fishing and I'll be able to tell you what you are likely to catch, what tackle to use and how to set the tackle up. Will you be using a boat or fishing from the shore, piers, etc? Also tell me what type of fishing tackle you have (rod and reel). I notice that you have a tackle box, what line, sinkers, hooks do you have? I'm sure we'll be able to get you started...after all, that's how we got in to fishing. I'll look forward to hearing from you. Good luck, Neil.

Hey mate. I second what everyone else is saying about scrappibg the sinker. In regards to reel keep spinning could be 1 of 2 things. 1 could be what allen has mentioned that the drag is too loose or 2 if you are using braid most entry level reels you need to use a backing otherwise the whole spool of braid just keeps spinning.

Cheers camo

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

What are you planning to catch? If you're brand new to fishing I'd say get rid of the lure, tie on a hook and use bait. That rig will be fine, just don't go too heavy with the sinker.

Learn the various rigs and knots, how to cast, retrieve and land fish. Then start playing with lures. Lures are more dynamic, you have to work them and for a beginner they may just turn you off fishing.

Also, you're reel isn't spinning backwards because you don't have the anti-reverse engaged by any chance?