Boat Insurance

jeffb5.8

Hi All

I have purchased a new boat and need to organise Full insurance Cover, looking for tips on who to go with and who to avoid.

Also need some anti-theft devices suggestions, as the boat will be under a carport as i think its to wide to fit in my single car garage.

Thanks

Jeff

I was with Club Marine, but changed to NRMA.

As for anti-theft. Unfortunately if some bastard wants it they'll get it.

What I did was put an ALKO OFF-ROAD COUPLING ON THE TRAILER. It is very very difficult almost impossible to put onto and take off without the locking ring / disc. It can be done but it is difficult and can be dangerous.

d82b1628266477a906a40f6c9cbbf4a8.jpg

I also bought some high tensile steel chair and padlock. I thread this though the wheels, around the springs and axle.

http://www.hightensilechain.com.au

Some may say these are only deterrents. I say that's exactly right. If you can't lock it up, then you make it difficult as you can for them steal YOUR property.

Well that's what I did. Others may do something completely different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by shakey55

I was with Club Marine, but changed to NRMA.

As for anti-theft. Unfortunately if some bastard wants it they'll get it.

What I did was put an ALKO OFF-ROAD COUPLING ON THE TRAILER. It is very very difficult almost impossible to put onto and take off without the locking ring / disc. It can be done but it is difficult and can be dangerous.

d82b1628266477a906a40f6c9cbbf4a8.jpg

I also bought some high tensile steel chair and padlock. I thread this though the wheels, around the springs and axle.

http://www.hightensilechain.com.au

Some may say these are only deterrents. I say that's exactly right. If you can't lock it up, then you make it difficult as you can for them steal YOUR property.

Well that's what I did. Others may do something completely different.

I couldnt agree more here. I cant comment on insurance companies as i work for nrma so would be a bit biast. However i agree that they are mostly all detterents cause if they want your boat. ..they will get it.

You have to remember the thieves these days are professionals. It is their industry just like you are a professional in your industry.

The 2 detterents i use for ny jet ski is a chain through the mag and around the axel but also use a trailer lock. Just a u shaped lock that goes over the end of the trailer and locks with a heavy duty short arm padlock.

Cheers Cam

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I am with GIO for my boat and find them ok. I had to make a not at fault claim last year and the process was ok. A bit drawn out due to having to get an assessor in, but that's probably par for the course. In the end everything was covered no questions asked.

One point worth noting is that in the fine print of my policy a chain by itself is not sufficient and they won't pay for theft in that case. You also need some other form of security. For me it is a wheel clamp, nothing too fancy, but enough to satisfy the policy requirements.

As has been said above it is a deterrent, nothing else.

I also advocate a boat cover. At home I have a full cover. On the trailer on the road and on the water when we are away I have a storm cover. As the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

Regards, Brad.

Edited by Tastee

Agree with the previous posts - they are all deterrents only. In my case I put a small padlock through the coupling connector locking it in the open position, then use one of those U-coupling locks to cover the tow ball hole as well. If away for longer periodss I have also put a high tensile chain through a wheel around the trailer springs, axle and wheel chocks which are dyna bolted to the driveway. I am told many boats are stolen by being towed onto a tilt tray tow truck - so if they want it - they will take it.

Insurance starts where the deterrents stop - so I make sure my policy values covers me for replacement as best as possible - check the PDS.

I was with NRMA for many years, then went to Club Med for about 6yrs as they specialized in boats and understood that boat improvements (eg new fuel tank, rocket launchers) actually increased the value. Then Club Med changed and wanted to offer a market value policy (I always prefer agreed value - market value is significantly dependent on the make and reputation of your hull, the condition and how you look after it and any upgrades you have made... NOT just age - I could never figure out how they planned to assess the market value pre damage or if the boat was under water !!!), so I went back to NRMA who surprisingly had improved in their understanding of boat insurance... been happy since.

Key points: shop around, check the policy PDS (agreed value vs market value was important to me - as I have an oldie but goodie hull).

What ever you do "don't underinsure" as you will get a value paid lower that the value in the policy.

Take photos of how you lock up your boat so that if the worst happens you can prove you took appropriate precautions.

Cheers Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips,

I have a wheel clamp and tow hitch locked ordered through a mate.

I also am purchasing a data dot kits, to mark the boat and accessories in lots of locations plus my Ute.

Once my new driveway goes in it will have some high tensile steel u bars set I to lock down the trailer.

Thanks for the tips on security and insurance, will do more reading

I have three locks on mine, but mine locked up in a garage with another 3 locks or so. But like others say, just a deterrent.

For insurance, I have been with a few but the last two boats have been with Club Marine and I fine them really good.

Had to make a claim over a year ago, they got it all sorted quite quickly and were happy for me to choose a repairer.

Then the other day had a blowout on the freeway. They came to help as the tyre was wrapped around the disc. Arrived in 30mins.

Guest 4myson

I'm with Club Marine , I was in your same position a few years back where I couldn't decide who to go with . But after speaking to a few people I decided on Club Marine ... Have not had to claim anything yet , So they've been good so far at taking my money but I'm only yet to see how they'll be if I have to make a claim....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to update, I ended up with Club Marine and they had a free offer to sprayed my boat, trailer and outboard with DataDot Tech and registered my details on the database.

If I buy any more DataDot kits I can add it to the database along with details of the item.

I have a trailer hitch lock and wheel clamp as part of getting insurance as well.

Hi All

I have purchased a new boat and need to organise Full insurance Cover, looking for tips on who to go with and who to avoid.

Also need some anti-theft devices suggestions, as the boat will be under a carport as i think its to wide to fit in my single car garage.

Thanks

Jeff

My boat is insured with Club Marine and I have 2 Rottweilers running around the back yard :nono:

Hi Jeff, I'm insured with RACV , they're premiums are reasonable and I've not had any issues with making a claim. In regards to securing your boat chains and locks are a good deterrent but a cordless grinder will cut through them all, if your happy to spend extra time remove the hitch and wheels its a bit of work but it will only make it harder for someone to steal. Perhaps install a gate on your carport, or some lockable/removable bollards and leave a vehicle parked in front of it to make access difficult for theives. A motion activated camera or alarm is another option. Hope this helps, enjoy your new boat.

Cheers.

Cheers.