WD40

krause

I read somewhere that the name WD40 comes from Water Displacement Recipe number 40 and it is a fish oil based product. Based on that I don't think fish would care and it might even attract them.

Derek's right about it being fish oil based and although slightly off topic I can say that whilst on a kingfish mission, some friends and I decided to test the "sunscreen myth". We basically slathered sunscreen straight onto the lures, leader and mainline and we ended up with 6 rats and 4 keepers plus a bunch of undesirable species so my guess is if sunscreens alright then wd40 should be too...I'm sure someone more experienced may have more solid info on the question though.

I read somewhere that the name WD40 comes from Water Displacement Recipe number 40 and it is a fish oil based product. Based on that I don't think fish would care and it might even attract them.

Krause, I believe that Derek is right. Therefore shouldn't make any difference to your fishing tackle.

It's a common misconception among fishos that WD40 is based off fish oils. It's definitely a petroleum based product.

Keep a jar of fresh water with you and put your hooks and lures straight into it after you finish with them. I find that if i wait until i get home to wash them with fresh water they will start rusting.

It's a common misconception among fishos that WD40 is based off fish oils. It's definitely a petroleum based product.

Keep a jar of fresh water with you and put your hooks and lures straight into it after you finish with them. I find that if i wait until i get home to wash them with fresh water they will start rusting.

""

Cheers guys, got to admit i also believe it's petroleum based. I normally keep my hooks in good nick, just these ones have rusted anyway. Ive gotten rid of the worst/useless ones and see how they go from here on in. Good to hear sunscreen doesn't hurt haha

Derek's right about it being fish oil based and although slightly off topic I can say that whilst on a kingfish mission, some friends and I decided to test the "sunscreen myth". We basically slathered sunscreen straight onto the lures, leader and mainline and we ended up with 6 rats and 4 keepers plus a bunch of undesirable species so my guess is if sunscreens alright then wd40 should be too...I'm sure someone more experienced may have more solid info on the question though.

Interesting.

Might be different with a bait on a finicky bream but who knows?

Small piece of cloth soaked in linseed oil should stop the rust spreading. The WD40 scaring fish off has been argued to death and I don't think it makes much difference but choose not to try it. Many years ago we heard a theory that wary hammerhead would take a bait soaked in it. We tried it and had one take a bait but other still not so while I'm convinced it wont attract them it didn't scare them off either.

Guest Guest123456789

I'm with Steve here. Get new hooks.

Buying good quality hooks in bulk is the go IMO and just taking about 10 in your tackle box each session.

Edited by Guest123456789

I keep a few silica gel packets in my tackle boxes, and periodically dry them out in a cool oven. I also keep my hooks in the original packets not loose. Any tackle I put back in is washed in fresh water first - I toss everything used into an ice cream tub whilst on the boat and rinse and dry it before repacking it.

I find this combination keeps the rust from becoming a problem. The used hooks still rust over time so when they get beyond a little surface rust I dispose of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee