Pimpama River, first GT

Adsy91

G'day guys and girls,

I've been on a bit of a mission lately and today was no different, 4am straight out the door and by 5 I was on the water chasing jacks up the Pimpama River.

I recently ordered some new poppas to try from balista lures with L.E.Ds in the tails so I chucked this around while it was still dark to try bag a red. Working my way down the river I could tell the tide was a bit slow and probably too high for this area of the river and I wasn't wrong, I bumped into a local out there who gave me the heads up (even though he was chasing the same thing?) who informed me it usually works better on the low.

Anyway, as I persisted to work paddle tails alongside sunken logs occasionally switching back to the poppa in the darker areas I saw something make a dart towards the poppa before disappearing. Heart racing I cast back towards the area this time closer to the bank and began working the lure. After three pops the lure was gone in a flash completely taking me by surprise as I rushed to turn the fish. To my surprise this fish was not headed for the snag and was darting out to the channel then left and right zig zagging. By this stage I knew it wasn't a jack but I no longer cared! Eventually I gained some line back and netted a trevally which I initially thought was a big eye, stoked with landing something I headed home and had a bit of a double check online and to my surprise it was a giant trevally, juvenile obviously but my first gt none the less.

Thanks for reading.

Adam

post-36477-14570699533993_thumb.jpg

Cheers Neil! Sorry about the double photo...when I posted last night it wasn't there so not sure what happened there [emoji15]

The Pimpama is quite a long stretch of river that works it's way through (mostly) the Gold Coast alongside the Coomera and a few other feeder creeks. One of the harder ones to access due to thick mangroves and salt marshes along majority of the bank. There is a weir on the river that a few people live bait from for jacks and big eye trevally regularly school up on one side and there is apparently good bass grounds on the fresh side. Next trip there will be focusing on the bass and I suspect a few yellowbellies are in their too, seems to be the way with majority of the bassing grounds up here. Yet to land a bass up here yet, the warmer water seems to recquire some tweaking from our southern techniques.

Ads