Practice makes perfect

Adsy91

Afternoon everyone,

I finally had my new Samaki Zing xtreme + Shimano Curado 200i combo delivered a few days ago and after spooling and tweaking the brake systems I think I am starting to get the hang of this baitcasting thing.

For anyone who has considered baitcasters for lure fishing, stop thinking about it and go get one. I am one of the many raiders (and fisherman in general) that has been a right arm cast and switch hands guy for years and although I have tried to practice lefty casting it has always frustrated me. This afternoon I can happily say that after just one hour of persistence I am now casting left handed with my new baitcaster and by the end of the hour all casts were within 10cm of my target.

I can tell already that this is going to increase my catch rate and decrease my bust off rates as I have contact with the lure and complete control from the second it leaves the tip of my rod.

Hopefully someone out there finds this helpful but I can't stress enough how big a difference it has made for me specifically setting an hour aside to literally just practice casting. Anyone thinking of doing the same or has an hour to spare here and there it's definitely a very fast way to get it down and way less frustrating when you aren't trying to catch a fish. Pretty good plan C if your planned fishing trips get called off too!

Thanks for reading ladies and gents

Tight lines!

Ads

I totally agree Adam. It's worth putting in a bit of practice...I cast an old lure at a target on my front driveway and can hit it most times from different ranges. I still (however) prefer to cast right handed and have my heavy gear set up, incorporating a left hand baitcaster. My other 2 outfits I use either hand to cast. Cheers.

IMHO baitcasters are the way to go for flicking lures up to structure. I am right handed so I cast with my dominate arm and retrieve with my left. Obviously I am in the minority because a lot of stores only stock a limited number of LH baitcasters. I still get an occasional bird’s nest, but generally these happen after a big day on the water, when the concentration has drifted.