Bobbin Head

harold

Guys, we have been told that the end of the river, past bobbin head marina (which is where our boat is berthed) has great Jewfish spots. We are going out on the boat for the weekend and I intend picking up a mooring close to the marina, launching the dinghy and going up past the marina to try for Jewfish. Trouble is I have never been up there before. Anyone have any tips as to where to fish? We do have a fish finder on the dinghy.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Where the mored boats finish is where the deep water finishes. Small tinnies an canoes only past there. Beautiful waterway,but high tide best. There is the odd deeper hole, but nothing big enough to support large Jew. I have never seen a Jew caught up there and think it very unlikely.

Well thanks for the comments. We went up there in the dinghy today and I can confirm as soon as you pass the berthed boats you are in very shallow water. I don't think any self respecting Jewfish would be caught dead in 900mm of water. So much for my tip!

There are a zillion jumping mullet in this part of the waterway, lord knows how to catch them. They have ignored everything we have put out.

Tomorrow is another day and the hunt continues.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, whoever gave you the tip doesn't like you!

Jewy, just go to the known spots. Brooklyn rail bridge, Flint and Steel and Juno point

You never know. I was once told of a spot upstream of the Roseville bridge for jewies. Went there and it was 2 metres deep. Was told just use pillies on gang hooks. Sat there for a few hours and nothing touched our pillies not even pickers.

When we were about to pack up the reel screamed and we got a decent jewie.

I've been up past Bobbin Head on my kayak too and it is very shallow so although unlikely maybe there's a chance.

Edited by Brew

I guess as long as you are in water there is a chance!

Nice boat mate, is that a Whittley?

Yes, the SL22. Only had it for a year but loving getting out further. Just now need to find the fish!