Baby Reds Infest Pittwater

josamill

Happens every year - should make Winter snapper fishermen very happy to know the next generation are up and running.

Up until 2 weeks ago, a live nipper cast in our favourite Pittwater haunts meant quality yellowfin bream and some thumping whiting to 44cm. Like a switch turning on, hoards of baby reds turned up this week - real babies - and they smash baits before anything else has a chance. From Scotland Island, to Saltpan, Snappermans to Mackeral - they are there like flies in Summer and will remain, as they always do, until October/November.

Time to venture off shore.

post-22429-0-01731000-1459209928_thumb.jpg

Happens every year - should make Winter snapper fishermen very happy to know the next generation are up and running.

Up until 2 weeks ago, a live nipper cast in our favourite Pittwater haunts meant quality yellowfin bream and some thumping whiting to 44cm. Like a switch turning on, hoards of baby reds turned up this week - real babies - and they smash baits before anything else has a chance. From Scotland Island, to Saltpan, Snappermans to Mackeral - they are there like flies in Summer and will remain, as they always do, until October/November.

Time to venture off shore.

Same in Port Hacking. Bait stealing little bast^rds by the dozens in places, even swimming onto the edge of sand flats to take nippers.

Burley up a bit and they swim off the bottom to attack sinking big baits meant for something else.

Over the years, I have found that larger tailor will swim up behind the hooked little reddies and take a bite out of the tail section, leaving a big crescent shaped cut in the body. Sometimes they will get hooked taking a second bite from the reddie.

Is that what they are? I thought so. Accidentally caught a bunch in Rose Bay Sydney before swapping lures. Saw one floating around too after someone had thrown one back after hooking its gills. So sad.

Edited by BrassRoots

Good to see so many young about! It's just a shame the little buggers steal your bait and you don't get a chance at a good fish. It's pretty much the same throughout the bay up here too! When this happens, I up the size of the hook and the bait. Action creates action and it pays off sometimes!

Cheers scratchie!!!

there's nothing to prevent the death of these little fish? I always hook these and most of them when i throw them back end up dead :I.

Snapper, regardless of size, are greedy buggers and will wolf down a bait regardless of size of the bait and the size of their mouth.