Port Stephens - Easter 2016

nanman

Came to Port Stephens for the long weekend with the family with plenty of fishing in mind. Decided to get an early start on Friday before the ramp got too busy so launched from Soliders Point at 6.30am headed to Shoal Bay for squid.

First cast and I was on to a nice one. Second drift on the same line resulted in three more. Every drift was a success so by 1/2hr I had plenty and couple of cuttle fish too.

8e18b47535307b8757cdd7dba1942c22.jpg

7db0e61209dd428ccc6d463e05f1e0ed.jpg

It was hard to leave the place as I love squid but I needed to get to the breakwall early.

First live bait sent out was an unweighted cuttle fish . Only took five mins and the reel screams, tightened the drag and stared winding then goes for another massive run.. then gone.. Pulled the hook!

Second cuttlefish goes in the same way and in no time I'm hooked up again & lot heavier this time. It was swimming in to the mariner and I couldn't stop it. As it went around the rocks, snap, my leader was shredded like ferry floss.

c9bfb020d9a221f24fbf97ef1222be77.jpg

On Saturday I thought I'd try for a Jew at the corlette wreck so I got there just after 5pm just after low tide. After few passes managed to find the wreck then anchored up and sent a fresh whole squid from day before.

Bit later there was something playing with my bait but not taking it so picked it up and tried to set the hook.. Fail! left it there bit more hoping it would come back and sure enough it did. This time well hooked and goes for an long run but after the first run it came up quite easy. Trying to land a big fish solo is never easy and with all the excitement of landing my first Jew it was even more harder so stuffed up the first net attempt so goes for another mini run but second attempt just guided it in to the net in the boat.

There was a couple more missed hook ups after that it went quite so decided to head back.

eb66aa9c8b785d229fd48022e9b7ce7f.jpg

4848bec0c7ea7582330ce7e878359f8b.jpg

Next day was a trip to stockton dunes so not much fishing but couldn't help but cast a line as we took some timeout near the wreck.. No fish tough but I wasn't really fishing.

d6434be18ba922703d36569f7261f8c4.jpg

We had a late check out on Monday so I wanted to have one more crack at those kingys at the breakwall so followed the same routine as Friday. The squid were not as easy to find but got three and a cuttlefish in about 1.5hrs effort.

So back at the breakwall I let the cuttlefish off the same way but not much happened for a while. Then there was a little bend in the rod and then nothing for a while and then the rod buckles over and reel start screaming. This time I'm on 60lb leader and I had lot more drag on than Friday so I thought I had it all under control. The harder I pulled the harder it took off in the opposite direction and headed towards the marina again, touches the rocks again and believe it or not it's done me for the third time.

It was a hard way to finish a great weekend but quite thrilled to get my first ever Jew and few squid to take home as well.

Quick thanks to scratchie and my mate for the excellent tips on fishing at this awesome place. Can't wait to come back here again soon to hopefully land one of those that got away!

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report. I wasnt that lucky. Lots of eels and shovels at the wreck, and more eels and a blind shark at the Jew Holes near the ramp of Soldiers. My guess is that I was fishing on the wrong side of the island. North of it on the tide running in. Next time I try to use your approach. I had problems finding the werck too. By chance anchored and the sounder went from 14m to 9m.

Great report. I wasnt that lucky. Lots of eels and shovels at the wreck, and more eels and a blind shark at the Jew Holes near the ramp of Soldiers. My guess is that I was fishing on the wrong side of the island. North of it on the tide running in. Next time I try to use your approach. I had problems finding the werck too. By chance anchored and the sounder went from 14m to 9m.

If you are catching shovel nose and cat fish that tells me your baits are anchored on the bottom. Always fish the bay with bait a meter off it. That will keep the pests away! The wreck and fame cove produce jewfish all year round. The wreck 2hrs before low-low and fame cove 30mins either side of high tide are you best chances. Especially if it coincides with a low light period!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Fantastic report mate. I am astounded how a fish heads INTO a mariner where it is so tiny and stuff. So smart they are!!! Cracking effort on the 1st mulloway. Nice pic of a good set up at stocko!! Best spot

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Awesome report nanman you have me excited as im heading up for a week on friday. Can i ask you re squid drifts, were they close to shore or even at eastern side of bay in close, as im land based/ maybe kayak. As for the 60lb being cut im gunna have to go shopping to upgrade if thats not big enough!!!! :fishing1:

Great report and congrats on your first jew. Don't be to upset about losing a king to the breakwall. I've seen many angler do the same thing! Glad I could help you out in some way.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks scratchie! I'm more disappointed that it happened to me not once but three times. I'll be going there again to get one to get over it :)

Well done Nanman. A comprehensive report about having a great time. Well done on the Jewfish mate.

Thanks Big Neil! I forgot to mention now I know that distinct smell the Jews have. It's like no other fish.

Thanks camelsownunder! I guess I was bit lucky too! Bit of research and help and tips helped as well. There was this yellow marker nearby and at first thought it was the wreck. Lol

But the coordinates didn't line up so I kept passing the lat/longs I had until I found it. I let the boat drift to figure out the drift then anchored about 20m up the drift and let out enough rope to get into position. It is bit of a guessing game.

Fantastic report mate. I am astounded how a fish heads INTO a mariner where it is so tiny and stuff. So smart they are!!! Cracking effort on the 1st mulloway. Nice pic of a good set up at stocko!! Best spot

Thanks Camo1808!

They are very smart! Can't be a coincidence all three did much the same thing!

Stockton was great fun! Highly recommend to anyone with a young family and a 4WD.

Awesome report nanman you have me excited as im heading up for a week on friday. Can i ask you re squid drifts, were they close to shore or even at eastern side of bay in close, as im land based/ maybe kayak. As for the 60lb being cut im gunna have to go shopping to upgrade if thats not big enough!!!! :fishing1:

Thanks downsouth!

I was drifting at around 2-3m depth just between the yellow markers and the moored yachts. If you are land based I think you can try the jetty there. Scratchie should be able to advice you on that but kayak will definitely let you cover more ground. Green yamashita worked for me the best. I don't think I would go any higher than 60lb best to try lock the drag and hold on! Good luck!

Good report, congrats on your first mulloway!

Thanks adamski! Hopefully I'll be onto few more soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nanman

Thanks Camo1808!

They are very smart! Can't be a coincidence all three did much the same thing!

Stockton was great fun! Highly recommend to anyone with a young family and a 4WD.

Yeah i used to love it. I just moved to gold coast few weeks back and i just got a new fourby and just waiting to get some better tires before hitting up moreton island!!!