Gordon's Bay - Sydney

BrassRoots

Well had my first King hook-up and bust off today.

Went to Gordont bay this morning to throw a 20g Halco silver twisty around. I was throwing off the rocks near where the divers enter the water at the Clovelly car park. I was slightly into the bay as the swell was pretty decent. Wasn't expecting much but could see the occasional bait fish jump so knew something was there.

So I'm pretty new to fishing and very new to metals sow as just working on a few different retrieves. I was working a medium wind with a downward jerk every 3 winds when behind my lure and in one of the waves I see a big silver coloured fish make a swipe at the lure. Wow. This got me pretty worked up so kept throwing and working but nothing for a little while. Then saw some bait fish jumping so threw the lure over the top of them and did a fast retrieve with downward jerks every 3 winds and BAM!

So far I've only caught little whiting and flathead with the occasional bream. This was definitely a different class of fish. Instantly my line was whizzing so tightened up the drag. It gave a good fight and I got it into the rocks and I could see the distinct thin yellow tail and pointy head. I was just about to jump into the water and guide him over to me so I could grab it but it made another run. This time he found a little rock hole and got my line caught up on the rock I was standing on. I tried to get the line off the rocks but couldn't work it free before he busted me off.

Damn. Lure and fish gone. I got a really good look at and if I had to guess it was in the 50 - 60cm range. Just incredible fun. If someone catches a King with a silver Halco in its mouth, let me know.

Edited by BrassRoots

Did the same down culburra however on 30lb , I managed to scull drag the king up on the rocks but shoes shorts shirt hat soaking wet, when u get into the water to land a fish that's dedication... Unlucky mate! Try a medium halco rooster popper, Kings or Taylor will find it if their around ...

Thanks guys.

Probably not going to invest in cleats etc yet so just going to stay where the waves aren't, inside the bay. To be honest I wasn't really fishing for anything in particular as I was mostly expecting to get nothing but wanted to work on my cast. I just happened to get lucky.

Going to throw some more tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some photos of the cheeky bugger with 2 lures in his mouth.