Flounder fishing tips

bobmarlee

Hi guys,

I'm from the Sydney area and have always been interested in catching flounder. Could anyone give me some tip/advice on rigs and where I could catch some.

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

flounder have always been a bi-catch for me and have caught them drifting over sandflats usually when targeting flathead.A #4 long shank hook on a running sinker rig catches them for me.

they are bloody rare

I wouldn't have thought so? Caught tonnes of them at times whilst spinning for Flathead. They can be difficult to target specifically which might make them seem rare.

Flounder really love prawns, so the best place to target them would be areas that hold numbers of prawns. Do some research into popular prawning locations, they are nearly always gun Flounder spots. If you aren't sure, look for shallow, weedy bays. There are plenty of them around Sydney, areas like Iron Cove Bay (Half Moon Bay is good), Rose Bay and Narrabeen are spots I have had success with Flounder. I had a session at Iron Cove where I got more Flounder than Flatties!

As they love prawns nearly all the ones I catch are on 2" Berkley Gulp Shrimps or the 65mm Squidgie Pro Prawns. So for bait, I would see if you could source some fresh prawns (get some from the fish markets) and work them slowly. Although this might get frustrating as the all the pickers on the flats might drive you nuts!

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers

Windy

I pulled a couple of big one's in from Garie Beach in the National Park on prawns a couple of years ago and apparently there are plenty of them. One mistake I did make though is when you get them home and cook them up for dinner, skin the buggers otherwise they taste quite gritty.

I wouldn't have thought so? Caught tonnes of them at times whilst spinning for Flathead. They can be difficult to target specifically which might make them seem rare.

Flounder really love prawns, so the best place to target them would be areas that hold numbers of prawns. Do some research into popular prawning locations, they are nearly always gun Flounder spots. If you aren't sure, look for shallow, weedy bays. There are plenty of them around Sydney, areas like Iron Cove Bay (Half Moon Bay is good), Rose Bay and Narrabeen are spots I have had success with Flounder. I had a session at Iron Cove where I got more Flounder than Flatties!

As they love prawns nearly all the ones I catch are on 2" Berkley Gulp Shrimps or the 65mm Squidgie Pro Prawns. So for bait, I would see if you could source some fresh prawns (get some from the fish markets) and work them slowly. Although this might get frustrating as the all the pickers on the flats might drive you nuts!

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks for the advice Matt! Will let you know how I go

I pulled a couple of big one's in from Garie Beach in the National Park on prawns a couple of years ago and apparently there are plenty of them. One mistake I did make though is when you get them home and cook them up for dinner, skin the buggers otherwise they taste quite gritty.

Thanks for the head ups mate.

Guest Guest123456789

I wouldn't have thought so? Caught tonnes of them at times whilst spinning for Flathead. They can be difficult to target specifically which might make them seem rare

Cheers

Windy

Around the systems I fish, yeah, seems like we used to catch more when I was a kid. But I haven't done too much statistical analysis on the flounder fishing stocks across NSW. Good to hear they're in good supply in other systems.