Lost another big fish from the stones.

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Went out off the rocks today early. Got there and my mate had already bagged 5 bonito. He had also just dropped a metre+ kingy on the ledge near his feet. He is an old gent and real straight shooter he doesn't need to lie.

So off I started and it didn't take long to connect. Good sized bonnie, 50+. Pulled the hooks as I surfed him over the ledge. Bugger.

Quiet ended down for next 30 mins. Kept mixing things up until a new combo connected with a fish. Got a bonnie to the surface before he threw the hooks. Arrgh.

More adjustments, soon again another connection, this time it's running real hard and fighting dirty, running out to sea, left, right, straight at me, towards the ledge. Get a glimpse, maybe a legal kingy. Surfed it up the ledge, measured it up, 63cm. Back in the drink she goes.

A few more casts again, connected with another fish. Similar sort of fight to the King but less . Up comes my PB bonito, 61cm. Bigger than my mates, who now has 8. Quality beats quantity, he upsides his gear and so do I.

Ok bigger lure now, not many casts and something smashes it. Small pause them bam, fish starts going mental, line absolutely peeling off my reel. Same dirty fighting style as the kingy. Bear in mind I've got 30lbs braid and fluro on a 65 gram lure with a Stradic FJ 5000 with drag locked up around 9kgs. Fishes peels off easy 150 metres of line!. I work it back in close. Fish feels like it just stops swimming, feels like a whale connected to my line. Ping!! Busted off at the uni to uni knot (10 turns on the braid my knots are solid).

Pack up and head home. Not the metre plus fish I'm chasing, probably won't get another shot until next summer but moving closer to achieving my goal I feel. Learnt a lot today. Thanks for reading.

post-36607-0-78412600-1459921944_thumb.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789

Nice looking fish. Which rocks in Sydney were you fishing?

Thanks. central coast.

Nice report Luke. Must have been some serious fish there to strip line off with that rig. Pity you didn't get to see it...would have filled in a few parts of the puzzle for you. Better luck next time.

Thanks Neil. Pretty sure it was another kingy, and a big one and that, but yes I'll never know. Could have been a shark, I'd feel better knowing I lost that!

Good report, and unlucky on the big one! Sounded like a good session of the rocks all in all.

Thanks

Loved reading the report, thanks for posting!!

No worries

Hi guys, I often read about fishing of the stones here but still not sure if it's just a general term to describe rock fishing or an actual singular place everyone knows except me. Can someone clarify thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I often read about fishing of the stones here but still not sure if it's just a general term to describe rock fishing or an actual singular place everyone knows except me. Can someone clarify thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

a general term to describe rock fishing

Bad luck mate. At least you experienced a good fight.

Have you tried a FG knot to join braid to leader? Not saying your uni-uni knot is bad, but FG is stronger and much slimmer, so it goes through the guides easily.

Guest Guest123456789

was that off terrigal ? or avoca

Could be either ;) I'm sure there were fish at both spots earlier this week they are being caught everywhere at the moment, some of the reports show some bag catches.

Bad luck mate. At least you experienced a good fight.

Have you tried a FG knot to join braid to leader? Not saying your uni-uni knot is bad, but FG is stronger and much slimmer, so it goes through the guides easily.

Thanks Royboy. I use FG knot on my light set ups (up to 15lbs braid). Heavier than this and the knot profile is so large that it weakens your guides as you cast and can also get caughT. That said and FG knot (even though it wasn't going through my guides) would have been stronger than Uni to uni so yeah that could have landed me the fish. Good point when chasing the big boppers I might ditch the uni to uni.

The main problem was my drag was too tight 1 or 2 turns looser and the fish was mine.

Edited by Guest123456789