Baitcasting Rod Queries

Aero

Okay,

Got a question in regarding how guides should be positioned on a baitcasting rod.

Should at any stage the when a baitcaster is loaded up, the line run on, or below the actual blank?

If it does, is this normal ? are certain rods designed like this? (not talking about spiral wraps)

OR is it a case of incorrectly spaced guides? or not enough guides to cater for the action of the rod?

Chris

Okay,

Got a question in regarding how guides should be positioned on a baitcasting rod.

Should at any stage the when a baitcaster is loaded up, the line run on, or below the actual blank?

If it does, is this normal ? are certain rods designed like this? (not talking about spiral wraps)

OR is it a case of incorrectly spaced guides? or not enough guides to cater for the action of the rod?

Chris

71504[/snapback]

Gday Chris

I am no expert by any means, but I would say definatly not! sounds like the guides are indeed incorrectly placed

cheers

Chris

Normally its simply a bad choice of blank by the rod manufacturer, it is pretty simple stuff to get the guides right on a blank . Some of the newer slow tapered, yet fast loading graphite rods on the market are more suited to being used as spin rods, but are being built up as baitcasters. Not sure if this is the case with the rod you looked at chris, but its another way to look at it.

I think Andrew once made mention of a relatively expensive of the shelf rod that did that. Apparently it was normal for that particular rod. Can't recall what it was though! :wacko:

Bash,

If this is one of the newer slow tapered fast loading blanks, that dont really suit their stated baitcasting applications, why are they being built in that configuration?

71559[/snapback]

Because the manufacturers are a bunch of stooges probably. :biggrin2: Like I said, I don't know if its the case with the rod you're talking about, but there are plenty that are being made - I have noticed this with a couple of daiwa baitcaster rods.

Andrew,

Its a Custom jobby, Thats Supposedly "meant" to load up that way.

Apart from a spiral wrap, I cant for the life of me work out why its been built this way.

I was hoping there was a legitimate reason apart from the rod builder being skimpy and using less guides or a rod blank thats just not designed for baitcasting duties.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

Its a Custom jobby, Thats Supposedly "meant" to load up that way.

Apart from a spiral wrap, I cant for the life of me work out why its been built this way.

I was hoping there was a legitimate reason apart from the rod builder being skimpy and using less guides or a rod blank thats just not designed for baitcasting duties.

Chris

Bash is on the money anyone who builds a rod this way is stooging you. The arguement for it supposedly goes

that the reduced guide count is less of an impediment to the action of the blank but the basic fact of the bigger the line angle over guides on an Ohead rod the more torque the thing suffers from thus the more impeded the action actually is, and the more the rod is at risk of snapping let alone simply worse to use as it wants to twist out of your grip more under load.

Funny how age old tried and tested fundementals fly out the window when a sale is at stake

dont touch it

Bash is on the money anyone who builds a rod this way is stooging you. The arguement for it supposedly goes

that the reduced guide count is less of an impediment to the action of the blank but the basic fact of the bigger the line angle over guides on an Ohead rod the more torque the thing suffers from thus the more impeded the action actually is, and the more the rod is at risk of snapping let alone simply worse to use as it wants to twist out of your grip more under load.

Funny how age old tried and tested fundementals fly out the window when a sale is at stake

dont touch it

Allen are you referring to the new guide concept thing??? Haven't looked at it much, but I don't think the concept is all its cracked up to be. :thumbdown:

Allen are you referring to the new guide concept thing??? Haven't looked at it much, but I don't think the concept is all its cracked up to be. :thumbdown:

no Im not refering to the NGC Im refering to an occasional issue( short guided oheads) that crops up and is primarily due to dodgy sales pitches trying to shift poorly designed product . but funny you should mention the NGC as it also seems to contradict the problem at hand :1prop:

A