Knife sharpening jig

Fab1

I just purchased a jig for $30 that's a clone of a famous one worth several $$$$$$ more and modified it a little to help the Bil to sharpen his knives as he is absolutely hopeless at free hand sharpening every time Ive tried to show him.

I just sharpened a few knives scalpel sharp and it may help those of you that have trouble getting sharp knives.

Cheers.post-20199-0-13016900-1460196913_thumb.jpg

You can either get an Angle cube to measure what you have then replicate it or go for say a 10 degree and see how long it keeps its edge. You can also use a smooth stone to work out the existing angle. Yes different knives have different angle as they are made form different steels and different purposes.

J

ok, I just bought a similar one

A couple of questions

Which grit stone(s) do I use?It depends on the condition of your knives,if their badly nicked or you want to change their profile you'd want to commence sharpening with your coarsest stone progressively working up to the finer ones.If they are in pretty good nick and a honing rod(steel)doesn't realign the edge then you may get away with a medium to fine stone.

What angle?It depends on the knife again.For example my Mora has what is known as a Scandinavian grind thus the bevel is sharpened at 11deg.My filleting knife is sharpened at 18deg and all my kitchen knives are at 20-25 deg depending on their use.Theres also what is known as a toothy edge and a slicing edge.A slicing edge is obviously better for slicing such as making sushi and a tooth edge is better for cutting things like rope etc.

Different knives have different angles?They sure do.Put your kitchen knife and fillet knife side by side and you will see the difference in grinds.

Hope this helps a little.

Fabian.

The manual is in chinglish so doesn't always make sense and doesn't mention these.

thanks!

Thanks Fab1

I had a look again last night. My stones are 120 320 800 and 1200 I think

So if I have a lot of knicks, and its a kitchen knife, 25 degrees and a 120. then work up to 800?

I'd go the 320 with a 20deg bevel on those kitchen knives followed by the 800 will be ample for general kitchen duties.

The knives would want to be really bad to use that 120 grit stone or need to be totally re-profiled to reduce the thickness in the blades shoulders.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

I've got a reasonable blade on some of my knives now.

The cheap system I have doesn't hold the knife still so I have the file

in one hand and the stone in the other. I can't tighten it up anymore and then

it can be a pain to turn it around so that I can do the other side.

What mods did you do to your cheapy one?

Thanks

I've got a reasonable blade on some of my knives now.

The cheap system I have doesn't hold the knife still so I have the file

in one hand and the stone in the other. I can't tighten it up anymore and then

it can be a pain to turn it around so that I can do the other side.

What mods did you do to your cheapy one?

I moved the vertical shaft further back to allow for a full stroke of the stones and sharpening longer blades.

As they come you can only use 3/4 of the stones length and sharpen shorter blades.I also mounted it to a nylon chopping block and glued rubber feet to it.

Try taping the spine of your knife with electrical tape or slip some rubber like bikie tubes in the jaws for added grip.

Remember let the stokes do the work using light pressure until you form a burr on the opposite side your sharpening,turn the blade over and repeat.Continue working up the various grit stones and finish off with a strop or a steel depending on the edge you want.

Saying all that nothing compares to hand sharpening using files,sandpaper,stones etc.

That file knife I posted I sharpened by hand and that blade is 4mm thick and it will shave hairs off your arm like butter.

Cheers.