Port Stephens (mac tuna)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report from the bay. Went out today with the eldest and his mate for a quick fish, as the wind was making things a bit choppy. The plan was to head to broughton but we didn't even get out the heads and there were slimies busting up everywhere. Caught a couple and decided to slowly troll them around Tomaree headland. We found a huge school around the point and we worked that area away from all the other boats. We had quite a few takes that resulted in no hook ups which was frustrating but after looking at our dead slimie we decided to pin it through the back and not the nose and that worked a treat. The next take came up tight. I fought the fish for sometime but decided to hand it to my sons friend as he'd never fought a fish that size before. After some good runs and a worthy battle up comes a nice mac tuna!

post-24974-0-00074100-1460709458_thumb.jpg

We were really hoping for a longtail but it was great to see the smile on the boys faces as they heard the line peel off.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest hawkesbass

Nice mac there scratchie.

Been some big macs coming from just a bit further north in 80 cm plus range.

Nice work Jeff. As always putting the kids on the fish.

Out of curiosity. How long does it take you to hit Broughton?

I was at the hole in the wall a couple of weekends ago looking over to it and saw you can camp there. Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nice work Jeff. As always putting the kids on the fish.

Out of curiosity. How long does it take you to hit Broughton?

I was at the hole in the wall a couple of weekends ago looking over to it and saw you can camp there. Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers Steve. It depends obviously on conditions but it's 14km from the headland. Generally between 20-30min. Although the other day on a glass out and tail winds, it took me about 10mins at 35knots!

Fished there on the ledge yesterday. Got a nice Mac early and got sharked on a blue. Not many fish are making it past the Sharks. Seen a boat hook up solid to a good black Marlin on those same bait schools. It was not a little black either. Pretty cool standing in the rocks watching a beakie greyhounding 250m out.