Getting VERY toey...

big Neil

How much can a Koala bear? It has been ages since I've been out and wet a line and (quite frankly) I'm going nutso. Last night we had a tremendous storm. Black clouds were building up all day, there was moisture in the air. I could feel it. Then came the thunder and lightning, huge claps of thunder with spectacular flashes of lightning. Then...NOTHING! Not a single drop of rain.

I don't know how much more of this, I can take. It's going to be a long Autumn and Winter of doom and gloom, followed by Murray Cod closed season.

I'm going to have to don the thinking cap if I hope to survive till December 1st. What's that song that goes "all my dreams going up in smoke?" Sounds like it might be relevant, at the moment.

Okay, the thinking cap worked. I can't use the boat (not enough water) so I'll have to fish from the bank. The Cod shut down when there's little or no water flow BUT the Carp (hungry buggers) don't. Target Carp.

LOOK OUT CARP! Big Neil is on the way...and you're gunna be in trouble. BIG trouble.

Thanks for reading. I feel much better already.post-20708-0-98349600-1460830398_thumb.jpg

I guess you will be using worms for bait? They fight well at least and they are plentiful.

Actually John I use bread and it works really well. I've even caught 4 Murray Cod on bread in the past 2 years. No need to waste valuable worms on these scumbags. Grandkids are coming over again this weekend so if I don't manage to get out before then ...it will be happening on the weekend. Cheers mate.

Na Neil, certainly no poet mate and the Southern Cross thing is by Louis McManus.

I used to go and see the Bushwackers many years ago and they would sing this song at their concerts, boy did it go off.

Nothing like a good Aussie bush ballad to get going.

Awesome job, great fun on light gear!

Go to the effort and target them on the soft plastics. It has been a great challenge lately trying to get a few. Check out south creek bass club on YouTube the guy on that has heaps of videos of the carp he gets on soft plastics in skinny water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na Neil, certainly no poet mate and the Southern Cross thing is by Louis McManus.

I used to go and see the Bushwackers many years ago and they would sing this song at their concerts, boy did it go off.

Nothing like a good Aussie bush ballad to get going.

Love the Bushwackers, Paul Kelly and numerous other folk type musos. My wife and I last saw them (some time ago) at the Port Fairy Folk Music Festival .It was the 30th anniversary. Fantastic!

Awesome job, great fun on light gear!

Go to the effort and target them on the soft plastics. It has been a great challenge lately trying to get a few. Check out south creek bass club on YouTube the guy on that has heaps of videos of the carp he gets on soft plastics in skinny water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Mattfinn. I just had a look at a few different videos of Carp on s/ps. Not something I would have thought of, but something I'll try. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Thanks for that Mattfinn. I just had a look at a few different videos of Carp on s/ps. Not something I would have thought of, but something I'll try. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

It's very much an art that appears similar to fly fishing in ways. I've just been walking the banks and waiting till I see a carp rise or are digging. Have spooked them everytime but I've only had a few goes. Been told it's a matter of placing the lure in the fishes peripheral or drawing it across the face of them and just sitting it there and shake it.

Hope you have some luck.

Carp on SP is an interesting concept. I haven't tried it. Had a go with SP targeting cod with no success because of snagging in the structure. Carp should be in easier water to fish. I must have a go when next in the Goulburn Valley.

To my way of thinking hard body lures, SP, and spinner baits are about the challenge of fishing rather than trying to catch the biggest number of fish. Love it.

I thought you were a coastie big Neil? Be good fun to chase some saltwater species with you

Sometimes I wish I were a coasty Luke. Like now when there's very little water in the (local) Murrumbidgee River. I'll let you know if I'm headed your way. Similarly, let me know if you fancy some Summer fishing for Australian Freshwater native species. Cheers.