Rocks spinfishing report

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi raiders,

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Went out yesterday morning with a few mates for a spin. My mate scored a salmon and a bream(by catch).

My other mate bought just one rod, hooked up to what I'm pretty sure was a big King and got snapped off. In the process he lost his $50 European lure. Couldn't fish with that rod as he didn't have enough line. He left super pissed off.

I managed an almost legal King, a salmon and two mack tunas. Hooked up 2 others but lost them (I think a similar sized King).

Kept the macks, the rest released. I must say the single hook on lures (instead of trebles) are heaps better in terms of catch and release and better hook up to land rates.

Thanks for reading.

post-36607-0-13128600-1462059276_thumb.jpeg

So true about the singles, definitely saves some time when there is a school busting up in front of you and you need to get the lure out of its mouth and back out there quickly! Nice catch too nice to see theirs still some pelagics about

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

Good stuff mate always nice to spin some fish off the rocks, I think youll find those macks are actually frigate mackerel :) No spots under under the pec fins

Thanks Krispy. Ahh yes frigates they are. Should have changed to smaller lures!

So true about the singles, definitely saves some time when there is a school busting up in front of you and you need to get the lure out of its mouth and back out there quickly! Nice catch too nice to see theirs still some pelagics about

Thanks Adsy.

Hi raiders,

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Went out yesterday morning with a few mates for a spin. My mate scored a salmon and a bream(by catch).

My other mate bought just one rod, hooked up to what I'm pretty sure was a big King and got snapped off. In the process he lost his $50 European lure. Couldn't fish with that rod as he didn't have enough line. He left super pissed off.

I managed an almost legal King, a salmon and two mack tunas. Hooked up 2 others but lost them (I think a similar sized King).

Kept the macks, the rest released. I must say the single hook on lures (instead of trebles) are heaps better in terms of catch and release and better hook up to land rates.

Thanks for reading.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Singles are great, much less hurt on the fish! I Use them for surfacing tailor on metals and feel's much better you haven't shredded their mouth when you throw them back.

It makes me wonder why they ever started putting trebles on lures in the first place?

Great report!

Edited by will_l

Singles are great, much less hurt on the fish! Use them for surfacing tailor on metals and feel's much better you haven't shredded their mouth when you throw them back.

It makes me wonder why they ever started putting trebles on lures in the first place?

For better hook ups, can be a bit harder to throw a mouthful of trebles. And as you said, leaves a bit of damage to a fish that needs releasing.

Guest Guest123456789

For better hook ups, can be a bit harder to throw a mouthful of trebles. And as you said, leaves a bit of damage to a fish that needs releasing.

Respectfully disagree a single is easier to throw them a treble. A single hook has a much larger gape, so when you set it it will penetrate further into the flesh of the fish. Often the single hook will go right through the jaw and come out just under the eye, good luck shaking that!

my 2 cents, I could be wrong

Singles are great, much less hurt on the fish! Use them for surfacing tailor on metals and feel's much better you haven't shredded their mouth when you throw them back.

A lure rep for one of the bigger names once told me that they put trebles on to catch people not fish..the whole "three hooks is better than one" debate

Respectfully disagree a single is easier to throw them a treble. A single hook has a much larger gape, so when you set it it will penetrate further into the flesh of the fish. Often the single hook will go right through the jaw and come out just under the eye, good luck shaking that!

my 2 cents, I could be wrong

Have had tailor spit out more single hooks than trebles at times. When they shake their head, the weight of the lure probably gives the hook more chance to be removed.

I've always thought that singles give you a full penetrating hook up, making it less likely for the fish to throw the hooks,

But it also gives you less hookups, as its harder to hook the fish due to only having one hook

Agree with you yowie, I've been getting 50/50 hook up and thrown hook rate using singles on tailor especially last 1/3 rd of the fight. Tuna hook up rate the same but once the single finds its mark it usually will stick, only straightened one 2/O decoy so far. That was my fault too much pressure!

Guest Guest123456789

Agree with you yowie, I've been getting 50/50 hook up and thrown hook rate using singles on tailor especially last 1/3 rd of the fight. Tuna hook up rate the same but once the single finds its mark it usually will stick, only straightened one 2/O decoy so far. That was my fault too much pressure!

sounds like you're fishing close to structure or its sharkey where you are?

I've started using Mustad Tarpon hooks as my singles now over the ones specifically sold as single hooks for lures.Found I drop hardly any tailor now off the rocks. Still drop a few in the surf when they jump in the shallow stuff