Lower harbour luderick/another blue barred parrot fish.

Guest hawkesbass

Guest hawkesbass

Went out this morning with royce chasing the luderick as per our sunday custom.

We settled on a wharf in the lower harbour given the wind and rain forecast.

We started fishing with three hours till lowtide with no touches in the first hour and a bit.

The first bites we got were from sawtails and black trevally stripping the baits i managed a hookup on a surgeon lasting about three seconds then pulled the hook.

I got the first luderick down and came up tight on my first double header hook up using two traces set at different depths.

Both these fish co-operated well with each other as royce scrambled to get the landing net together and once assembled promptly put in the keepers net.

post-18046-0-63589900-1462093958_thumb.jpeg

As soon as the tide started too make the luderick came on the chew.

Royce chimed in with the next fish playing up well beyond his size.

I put the next two in the keeprs net then royce put two in the net.

Royce decided too rig up his happy stick as he calls it a very sloppy and soft sportex rod for some fun.

While doing this i put another in the net being a good high thirty cm fish.

Royce got the next two fish out both mid thirty cm fish.

About two hours into the tide royce moved on the wharf getting a fish on his first drift so i moved there also getting a fish on my fourth drift.

Things went qieut on this side for a while then my float rocketed to the bottom quicker then i could lift to set the hook i thought straight away it is a decent sawtail but when i felt weight there was not the traditional sawtail hard pulls and tail beats coming throught the line but a steady pull running back under the wharf i turned the fish back into open water and after a short fight im surprised to see another juvenile blue barred parrot fish in the landing net.

This is the second one i have landed in the harbour on weed in the past six months although this one was slightly smaller than my first one.

post-18046-0-56878500-1462094876_thumb.jpeg

post-18046-0-05801800-1462094937_thumb.jpeg

Soon after this we called it quits with fourteen in the net.

We kept all the fish as it had been a while since fish came home for a feed.

post-18046-0-91646200-1462095270_thumb.jpeg

Apart from the early rain and ongoing testing wind conditions it was a good day out after having a week off from fishing.

Apologies if any spelling errors writing this report with a smashed screen on the ipad.

Cheeres trevor

Nice effort there. I hope you were out of the wind as it was blowing a gale from the north by lunchtime, as I noted. Aaaiiieeeee.

Blue Bars on weed, now that's fantastic and certainly a unusual capture. Though I know of some Adults taken this year and very recently.

Times are a changing.

Well done guys nice catch, I checked out your gear and noticed it was quite ancient but hasn't lost it's use yet,lol

Yeah the gears old all right Trevs rod is an original Snyder c144bf that was my dads it's going on 25 years old and my sportex 287 is going on 30 years! The two reels are over 40 years old! Gear like that was made to last and is still serviceable we fish in a way they did back then and love it that way I find modern blackfish rods can be alcittlecto stuff in action and prefer a rod with a slower action akin to a fly rod!

Guest hawkesbass

Great session guys.

Congrats for the double on the cheats rig mate.

You should submit the blue bar to have 1st and 2nd on the record.

Haha,

Well done

I have had double hookups before on the so called cheats rig but this time both made the landing net.

I did not measure the parrotfish this time just took some quick snaps and shot it back in.

Guest hawkesbass

nice catch, what wharf and what bait do you guys use?

The luderick were taking cabbage and weed and the parrotfish took a weed bait.

The wharf was in nth sydney side looking across to circular quay.

cool, I know the wharf, i used to get the train there and fish for leather jackets when I was a kid

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Would the weed be soft weed or wire. I'm spending the weekend on the north side myself this weekend my drop a line for fun.

Stapo cabbage is working just as well in the lower Habour right now as the fish move in we had the silky soft rock weed as well as cabbage!

Thanks for that. I should be able to get some up here. I gave Ryder some of my very special hard to get top secret wire weed to try but they don't like it down there. Ha. I'll be on that McMahon point jetty across from Luna park. It's right near my motel. Just for fun.

Cheers Steve.

Guest hawkesbass

Nice catch. i don't understand about the sawtails. Are you trying to catch them or they unwanted nuisances.

Know nothing about them myself.

Cheers

Arron

The sawtails are a very tasty bycatch but near unstopable on the luderick tackle and 6lb leader so they are not really our target species.

They are pound for pound up there with some of the hardest pulling fish around allthough once they fatigue they give up quick.