Kayak donut

SgtBundy

Booked a few days off work explicitly for the purpose of going for a fish. Hit the water this morning just before 7am from Clontarf as usual and went looking for yakkas and squid around Chinamans beach, but only managed a tiny whiting and baby snapper on the bait jig. Hoping when I get a sounder I might have better luck picking where the yakkas hold up - had not had much luck finding squid of late either but maybe that is my technique. Spent about an hour hunting for live bait and drawing nothing I moved on.

Headed over towards Balmoral trolling a lure and also some unweighted pillies, and followed the shore around to middle head. Decided to try crossing over to North head seeing as the swell as pretty benign and some of the recent reports suggested there might be pelagics around. Crossed over and drifted around staying just inside and around in front of old mans hat. I was trying out my new Fin Nor bait teaser reel setup (dual drag live bait reel) with the pillies and had a few hits nothing that hooked up - usually just a short run of the drag. Probably not using the rig for it as I was just using a single live bait hook intended for livies. I also threw around some poppers and xraps but nothing hit - unfortunately lost my favourite xrap when a line tangle on casting busted the leader.

Having the rest of the day available I figured I might as well troll my way over and explore south head. Made my way over and then after looking up where sow and pigs was I made my way there to drop some small servo squid and flick a few plastics, again to no avail.

Headed back over around middle head and threw some plastics around between middle head and the navy base. Trolled back over towards chinamans stopping periodically to just prospect with some plastics again.

Once I got near chinamans I went to retrieve my trolling lines and probably from stopping for the plastics they lines managed to get insanely tangled (like two lots of braid trying to breed like octopi tangled - lots of very fine twists around each other). I tried for a while to untangle but gave up and decided to deal with it at home. Continued around chinamans flicking SPs for flathead but no takes. Headed back to Clontarf around 2:30 to pack up.

Nice enough day on the water and some new territory explored - wasn't able to bring any fish to the party though.

Mate, bad luck. I will say that getting a sounder for my yak has made fishing 20x better. Get it installed asap!

I was in that area on Saturday for a couple of hours. There were kings and bonito around but they were sparse. Wouldn't have found them without the sounder...

Have had a few tangles from trolled lures on the yak. The lures are fairly close together so if one doesn't run straight result is as you describe. making sure they are not at the same distance and/or one close to the surface and one deep diver will help. I resolved the problem with Scotty holders and the rod tips pointed out wide. At least you got a nice day on the water and covered some ground.

Thanks all. The days off were for my birthday on the weekend and the present in mind is a sounder (Dragonfly 4 pro).

I spent this arvo working on the tangle and in the end had to cut it out - wasnt as much lost as it looked.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk